System Engineer, Dashboards Infrastructure and Automation
This is an exciting opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical team in Seattle/Bellevue / Redmond WA! Come work with some of the best and brightest engineers and technical managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative technology companies anywhere.
We're looking for a systems engineer to join OpenSearch Dashboards Engineering team in our Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond, WA location. This team is responsible for building, testing, and releasing OpenSearch Dashboards, along with curated selection of plugins. We follow Amazon's high standards and best practices, and make use of publicly-available tools, but in a way that is transparent and open to the community. We make it possible to create a new build at any time, bundling any compatible combination of core OSS code and plugins. We enable the open source community to use our tools and processes by creating best in class release infrastructure processes, tools and softwares that is extensible and maintainable by all. You can view more details at https://docs.aws.amazon.com/opensearch-service/latest/developerguide/what-is.html.
The perfect candidate will have deep experience working with Linux, preferably in large scale, distributed environments; and be very comfortable with networking and distributed architecture topics. You will have enthusiasm for digging deep and a flare for sharp technical communication, prioritization and organization.
As a System Engineer on our team, you will
- Solve problems at scale that excites you.
- Join a great group of motivated, top-notch, people and work with them to solve challenging problems in a fun, collaborative environment
- Work with cloud native applications, container orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, ECS and/or others
- Add automated pipelines for pull requests, snapshot builds and continuous integration / delivery (CI / CD)
- Produce bullet-proof code that is robust, efficient and maintainable; our primary languages are Java, Shell, Ruby, Python, Scala, Go. For you, code reviews and automated testing are not chores – they are a core part of writing great software.
- Work on the decentralized open-source model and encourage open collaboration / communication
- Engage frequently with the open source community to find and fix the most important challenges
- Maintain effective communication and collaboration with partner teams, both local and remote, in completing interdependent work items
- Advocate for open source, both inside and outside the company
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or relevant work experience
- 3+ years Linux systems engineering experience
- 2+ years networking experience (TCP/IP)
- 2+ year experience building scripts, tooling, and automation for large-scale computing environments.
- Good experience in Bash/Shell scripting language
- Experience in at least two of: Python, Java, Perl, PHP, Ruby
- Excellent problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to dive deep into complex technical problems
- Experience on Cloud Computing
- Experience managing large server fleets
- Experience with hardware and software load balancing technologies
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.