Systems Development Engineer II (Linux) Bellevue, WA; SF Bay Area, CA, AWS WorkSpaces
Come change the way the world sees the cloud! Amazon WorkSpaces is a managed desktop computing service in the cloud. Amazon WorkSpaces allows customers to easily provision cloud-based desktops that allow end-users to access the documents, applications and resources they need with the device of their choice, including laptops, iPad, Kindle Fire, Android tablets, and zero clients. With a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, customers can provision a high-quality cloud desktop experience (for Windows or Linux) for any number of users at a cost that is highly competitive with traditional desktops and half the cost of most virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) solutions.
We are looking for Linux OS systems development engineers who are passionate about building, maintaining, and automating the systems that underpin the robust WorkSpaces-fleet system. On any given day, we use Python, Java, SQL, Lambda, DynamoDB, CloudFormation, as well as other public AWS services and a host of Amazon-internal tools. We don’t expect you to be an expert in, or necessarily even be familiar with, all of the technologies listed above, but we do expect you to be excited to learn about them!
In this role you’ll help WorkSpaces-Fleet expand into new regions, remove development friction, and collaborate with a team of Systems Developers to help shape the future for the next generation of services to help customers reduce the mean-time-to manage their WorkSpaces. You’ll apply your creative and critical problem solving skills to develop and run multi-tenant at massive scale services.
A System Development Engineer in WorkSpaces will:
- Develop infrastructure-as-code software to stand-up large distributed services with Security and Operational Best Practices in mind.
- Design fault tolerance and disaster recovery solutions
- Solid understanding of Linux OS Internals
- Configuring Network and DNS.
- Active Directory integration with different flavors of Unix(Desired)
- Understanding of Active Directory(Desired)
- Python and Shell Scripting for Automation
- Experience managing large scale infrastructure using SSM / Ansible / Chef / Puppet for patching
- Good understanding on different package managers in different flavors of Linux, pros & Cons.
- Experience with CI / CD pipelines
- Understanding about different Certificates and their usage(Desired).
- Understanding of AWS Technologies
You can find out more about WorkSpaces here: http://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live harmony. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 3+ years of hands on work experience in Software Engineering, DevOps, and/or Systems Development
· Systems Engineering/SRE experience in a large, distributed environment focusing on automation
· Experience with DevOps tools, processes, and culture
· Technically sound in software development and life cycle
· Experience using AWS services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.