Do you want to empower customer creativity and productivity in the modern, highly collaborative workplace? Do you want to build a real-time collaboration system to power shared editing experiences? Do you have experience with modern web technologies? If so, come talk to us on the Whiteboard team. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help tackle the challenge of distributed collaboration on digital whiteboards across all devices.
Microsoft Whiteboard is an intelligent canvas for creative teamwork. It has been in market for over two years and provides an experience that enables teams, whether in-person or remote, to ideate together on a digital canvas. Whiteboard runs on any Win10 or iOS device as well as on the web. It is deeply integrated with Surface Hub and Teams. Usage has dramatically increased since March due to the worldwide transition to remote work.
The Whiteboard team is currently focused on expanding the capabilities of our web offering to enable more collaboration scenarios via Teams. To enable this, we are building a new collaboration system on the Fluid Framework and moving our storage from Azure to OneDrive for Business. We are looking for engineers experienced with modern web development and backend systems to help solve the unique scale, latency, and consistency problems associated with this transition.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, IT or related fields or 7+ years of industry experience
- 5+ years of Software Development experience
- Engineering experience with web frameworks like React or Angular
- Professional experience programming in a statically typed language (C#, Rust, TypeScript, etc.)
- Passionate about shipping secure, accessible, and world-ready applications that allow customers to be more inclusive and productive
Desired, but not required:
- Experience with Rust/WebAssembly
- Experience with incremental computation/functional reactive frameworks
- Experience with/understanding of distributed data structures
- Professional experience with modern cloud infrastructure and networking solutions
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Design, build, test, ship, and maintain the collaboration software stack for Microsoft Whiteboard features using the Fluid Framework's distributed app model
- Take ownership of the processes and challenges involved in large-scale data migrations
- Work in an agile-based culture focused on continuous improvement, adaptation, reflection, and growth