Sr. Manager, Research & Economics Manager
At Amazon, we are the most customer-centric company on earth. If you'd like to help us build the place to find and buy anything online, this is your chance to make history. To get there, Promise Research Team needs exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people.
The Promise team sets the expectation of when our customers’ items will arrive to them. The delivery promises we make drive customer behavior and influence the short and long-term profitability of Amazon’s global retail business. We connect the customer experience to Amazon's industry-leading fulfillment capabilities, and are part of the Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) Group that develops systems to optimize physical retail operations end-to-end.
The Promise Research team’s mission is to provide the intelligence to delight customers throughout their delivery experience and increase long-term free cash flow by balancing trade-offs of outbound resource utilization costs, fulfillment risk, and delivery speed CX. The team blends skillsets from engineering, economics, operations research, and machine learning to solve problems spanning outbound capacity optimization, delivery capability investments, product and speed discoverability, and on-time delivery risk through scalable science products. We build models to support production algorithms that run live on the website, affecting millions of decisions every day.
The Promise Research team is seeking a seasoned science leader who is interested and experienced in working at the cutting-edge of large-scale optimization, econometrics, and machine learning, launching algorithms in partnership with engineering teams, and influencing the business on one-way door investments. The leader will set the research roadmap and establish new paths for innovation and communicate them to senior leadership. They will work closely with engineering teams to bring research to production. The ideal leader will have hands-on experience building science algorithms that are deployed in engineering systems and leading multi-disciplinary teams that solve hard trade-offs in a principled, transparent way. They will be as committed to growing teammates’ careers as they are to building production models.
Successful members of the Promise team are customer obsessed, flexible, and collaborative team players who enjoy working across functions and organizations to solve problems and get results. They ask hard questions and build solutions that provide the critical business insights needed to influence decision making across retail and operations teams. They find timely answers buried in large data sets and complex systems, identify root causes, and get their hands dirty building data systems and sharing insight. For more information on SCOT, see this short video: http://bit.ly/amazon-scot.
· Managing economists, OR scientists, applied scientists, BIEs, DEs, and SDEs to design, test, implement, and support econometrics, predictive and operations research optimization models in production software environments
· Hire, develop and grow the teams to deliver to increasingly integrated models
· Interact and manage communication with the sr. leadership, peers and other groups about the vision, charter and progress of the team initiatives
· Develop short-term and long-term vision to support sustainable growth
· Review and validate team’s work to ensure production models are robust, scalable, and address business and software engineering requirements
· Using big data and AWS technologies to scale, automate, and productionize core models
· Recognizing and adopting best practices in analysis, data and model integrity, test design, validation, and documentation
· Master’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Operations Research, or related technical field
· Demonstrated experience leading analytics and science teams, with a record of developing and executing an analytic vision to solve business-relevant problems
· Track record in hiring top talent, and passion for developing talent
· Leadership experience in highly cross-functional and complex work environments
· Excellent written and spoken communication skill
· Ph.D. in Economic, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, or a related field
· 5+ years of experience leading analytics and research teams
· Track record of developing production-scale science models
· Deep understanding of machine learning, operations research, and econometrics