Business Intelligence Engineer, Amazon Transportation Services Sustainability
Amazon Transportation Services is seeking an exceptional Business Intelligence Engineer (BIE) to join the Global Transportation Sustainability (GTS) team. This is a unique, high visibility opportunity for someone with a passion to dive deep into disparate, large-scale data sets, surface data that provide unique insights to leaders of the Amazon Transportation Services (ATS) organization and ultimately have an impact on the reducing carbon emissions in transportation. The GTS team works with stakeholders across Amazon to drive, report and implement initiatives that will help Amazon be carbon neutral by 2040. The GTS Team interfaces with Core Operations, Network Planning, Business Development, Finance, WW Sustainability, Procurement and Data Science teams to ingest data, compute metrics and surface insights which help track the carbon intensity of Amazon shipments and identify opportunities that will not only save money and but also benefit the environment.
The ideal candidate will have excellent analytical abilities, outstanding business acumen and judgment, intense curiosity, strong technical skills, and superior written and verbal communication skills. S/he will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big and be creative (while paying careful attention to detail), and enjoys working in a fast-paced dynamic environment. To be successful in this role, you should have broad skills in database design, be comfortable dealing with large and complex data sets, have experience building self-service dashboards and using visualization tools, while always applying analytical rigor to solve business problems. In addition to leading the design, development, and management of our analytical tools and reporting, we will also look to this person to provide thought leadership and business analysis support as needed.
The candidate will need to understand the complexities of a high growth, fast-paced, high performing organization and possess the ability to handle multiple, abstract projects while dealing with constant change. S/he should have a strong desire to achieve results, continuously raise the bar, and demonstrate an ability to effectively manage time, priorities and deliverables.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
· Design, develop and maintain scalable, automated, user-friendly systems, reports, dashboards, etc. that will support our analytical and business needs
· Analyze key metrics to uncover trends and root causes of issues
· Invent and innovate - Tell the story of business trends, patterns, and outliers through rich visualizations
· Work closely with various stakeholders to define the information needed and how best to present it
· Suggest and build new metrics and analysis that enable better perspective on business
· Design and develop weekly, monthly, and quarterly dashboards, scorecards and reporting for the team and present insights to stakeholders
· Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
Want to learn more about working with Amazon Transportation Services? Check out this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en5YqrtBGvY&feature=youtu.be
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
· 5+ years of relevant work experience in a role requiring application of data modeling and analytic skills
· Strong experience with ETL development, data modeling, data warehousing, MySQL, Tableau, and databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
· Advanced ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them to the stakeholders and senior management as required
· Self-driven, with demonstrated ability to deliver on ambiguous projects as well as projects/requests where the underlying data is incomplete
· Strong verbal/written communication and presentation skills
· Experience in gathering requirements and formulating business metrics for reporting
· Experienced working in a fast-paced, high-tech environment and comfortable navigating conflicting priorities and ambiguous problems
· 5+ years working with big data
· Experience building scalable data pipelines
· Experience working with relational and NoSQL databases Experience with Hadoop, Spark, or other data processing tools
· BS, MS or equivalent real-world experience
· Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
· Have a track record of efficiently solving complex problem
· Experience programming with Python, Hive, or similar
· Experience installing, configuring, and managing AWS infrastructure
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.