As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
This position is responsible for the plant business duties primarily around the financial aspects of the plant. These duties include budget development tracking and reporting, budget variance and exception reporting, business plan development, Tax reporting, asset tracking, capitalization determination and working close with corporate accounting. This position requires working with large amounts of data and data analysis. This position requires working with several plant budget owners on spend status and forecasting.
Include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supports and emphasizes importance of safety and environmental programs and ensures regulatory compliance
- Develops and executes plans to accomplish development, regular updating, and monitoring of the Plant budget and cost forecasts
- Works closely with Engineering and Project Managers on Project (PowerSam) cost tracking
- Provides appropriate information, recommendations, and guidance to department personnel to obtain the necessary input to support the budget development and monitoring process
- Creates documents, including reports, memos, graphs, charts, tables, etc.
- Reviews, documents and provides input on changes in the original budget development plan
- Coordinates monthly variance analysis, reviews results, reconciles actual costs with budget/forecasts, summarizes variance explanations/forecasts, and distributes the information as appropriate.
- Meet with Site Management to present Budget Status and Variance analysis monthly (as soon after monthly close as possible)
- Prepares journal corrections and coordinates monthly and year-end accruals
- Prepares special cost/budget reports and analyses with minimal direction at the request of department and regional management
- Understands business processes and their financial implication/impact to the Plant and Company
- Generates, submits & tracks status of budget exception reports
- Works with site departments on the development and submittal of Budget Exception Forms
- Ensures all Company resources are utilized in a cost-effective manner, estimates resource requirements, monitors expenditures, and reports on performance of assigned area
- Coordinates with Corporate Accounting on the creation of new assets and retirement of old asset (includes working with Engineering Department on Projects that effect asset tracking)
- Work with Business Manager to track and manage the Plant Asset Inventory Log
- Work with Business Manager with the development and updating of the Plant Business Plan
- Work with Corporate Accounting on taxation reviews
- Take on additional task or responsibilities as management sees fit
- Demonstrates employee involvement, innovative thinking, adaptation to change, responsible risk taking, customer focus, and continuous improvement
- Ensures development and implementation of assigned area goals, objectives, and initiatives
- Promotes productivity and teamwork with open communication, timely decision making, and use of personal leadership skills to set high standards of performance
- Recognizes inefficiencies in work practices/process and works on improvement opportunities
- Normal office environment and/or power plant environment
- This job is an on-site full-time job (work from home will be after schedule hours)
- This position will require off schedule hours when the need arises i.e., during the 5-year budget and business plan development season.
- Minimal Travel will be required; Requires occasional travel outside service area
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.) in designated areas
- Minimum of Baccalaureate degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related technical discipline from an accredited college or university, and 2 years equivalent experience in related field OR 2 year degree and 4 years of equivalent experience in a related field OR 8 years of equivalent experience in a related field.
- Ability to use a personal computer and associated software applications.
- Demonstrated understanding of our business software systems and their interfaces. Working knowledge of the following systems: HPM, SAP, PowerSam. Must be proficient in Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to make presentations for site leaders and management personnel
- Ability to communicate and educate site leaders/specialist/engineers on their role with budgets, invoices, and P.O’s
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic understanding of the processes, systems, assets, resources, key personnel, and business functions of the facility
- Knowledge of power plant systems and operation
- Comprehensive knowledge in functional area
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a team environment
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) at all levels of the organization
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with all individuals
- Ability to read, create and follow written policies and procedures
- Ability to read, write and understand English
- Demonstrated sound business skills necessary to accomplish assigned tasks
- Ability to perform as a team member or leader in a cross-functional team environment and achieve consensus decisions
- Knowledge of applicable safety and environmental regulations
- Uses and maintains technical and professional knowledge, shares that knowledge with others, and recognizes/applies new technology in a cost-effective manner
- Obtains and applies knowledge of competitive business practices in daily work activities and decision making
- Seeks and understands the customer/client’s needs and focuses on meeting and exceeding their expectations
- Willingness and ability to work through all obstacles in order to get the job done.
- Anticipates and accepts changes in the organization and adapts to meet the new requirements
- Committed to making the workplace safe and environmentally sound
- Willing to accept accountability for own decisions, performance, and behavior, as well as the performance of assigned employees
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs
- Requires operation of a personal computer
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities
- PPE as required in plant
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources.