We've made a lot of progress since opening the doors in 1942, but one thing has never changed - our commitment to serve, heal, lead, educate, and innovate. We believe that every award earned, every record broken and every patient helped is because of the dedicated employees who fill our hallways.
At Ochsner, whether you work with patients every day or support those who do, you are making a difference and that matters. Come make a difference at Ochsner Health and discover your future today!
In collaboration with staff radiologists, this job independently performs advanced diagnostic ultrasound procedures in accordance with prescribed safety procedures and protocols. This job is a clinical mentor for junior staff and students.
Required - Completion of a CAHEA approved formal training program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
Required - None.
Preferred - 2 years Sonographer experience
Required - Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) or registry eligible (required within 1 year of hire)
Advanced certification in area(s) of specialty according to facility need
Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of patient information.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications and keyboard.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally to varying levels of individuals throughout the patient care process
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard
- Knowledge of the anatomy of the liver, gallbladder, aorta, spleen, kidneys, bile ducts, and pancreas to perform abdominal ultrasound and the pathology of these organs to provide radiologists with a preliminary diagnosis
- Verifies physician order and procedure to assure accuracy
- Utilizes radiology information systems to facilitate care
- Explains procedure to patient to ensure understanding
- Independently operates equipment to complete imaging procedure according to protocol (including assisting radiologists in guided procedures in a variety of settings)
- Reviews patient images prior to transmission to ensure images meet diagnostic quality standards.
- Completes timely quality control procedures in accordance with regulatory standards and performing notification/remediation as warranted.
- Assists in the facilitation of departmental operations (inventory, staff schedules, equipment maintenance, etc.)
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
- Other related duties as required.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical essential functions of this job include (but are not limited to) the following: Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of force to move objects; occasionally exerting up to 100 pounds of force. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The incumbent works in a patient care area; works in an area where patients enter; works directly with patients; and/or works with specimens that could contain communicable diseases. There may be an occupational risk for exposure to communicable diseases.
Are you ready to make a difference? Apply Today!
Ochsner Health endeavors to make our site accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website, or if you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact our HR Employee Solution Center at 504-842-4748 (select option 1) or email@example.com. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
EEO is the Law links in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic.
Affirmative Action Policy Statement