Social Scientist

Department Of The Interior Bar Harbor, ME
* Duties

Help Duties Summary

This position is located in Acadia National Park, in the Division of Resource Management. Please visit find a park for additional park information.

Learn more about this agency


The social scientist is responsible for developing and/or conducting applied social science research including research associated with visitor experiences, visitor satisfaction, visitor perspectives, and socioeconomic monitoring. The incumbent will recommend ways to improve understanding of visitor experiences using current social science resources and methods, design and conduct interdisciplinary, cross-divisional projects to apply scientific information to planning and management decision-making.

Travel Required

Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential


* Job family (Series)

0101 Social Science

* Requirements

Help Requirements Conditions of Employment

* This is a Career-Seasonal position and subject to release and recall procedures. A permanent career-seasonal position includes all the benefits of permanent employment, but does not provide employment on a full year-round basis. As such, selectee will be in a non-pay/non-duty status for at least 2 weeks to 6 months per year based on project requirements or weather conditions. Selectee are guaranteed to work at least 6 months per year but not more than 50 weeks per year, with the work schedule to be determined upon appointment.

* U.S. Citizenship required.

* Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.

* Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.

* Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.

* You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you.

* You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.

* If you are a new employee in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.


To qualify for this position at the GS-11 grade level, you must possess both basic and minimum qualifications by close of the announcement:


Degree: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study in behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.

* OR-

Combination of education and experience -- that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.

* OR-

Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.

* AND-


Education - Successfully completion of three (3) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D degree or Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree.

* OR-

Experience - one (1) full year (12 months) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level. Specialized experience is experience that equips the applicant with particular knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to successfully perform the duties of this position. Examples of specialized experience include: developing a plan to collect data about recreation visitors to parks or other public recreation areas; collecting data about recreation resource use and analyzing that data to understand visitor behaviors in order to manage use and protect resources; collecting, managing and reporting traffic counting data; conducting studies related to user capacity, visitor experience and recreation resource management in parks or public areas; preparing reports that present information and analyze data about visitor use, capacity and experience.

* OR-

Combination - Appropriate combination of specialized experience and graduate level education (beyond what is required for a master's degree). The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for this grade level.

Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies". (Example: 4/2005 - 6/2006; 40 hours per week).


To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.

If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.