Serves as Teaching Assistant for assigned online course(s), facilitating communication between and providing course support to students and faculty.
NOTE: This is a casual hourly position; it is NOT benefits eligible OR a full-time opportunity. Preference will be given to JHU School of Education EdD student who have previously completed the course in which they will be assigned. Multiple positions are available.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Responds to student inquires through TA office hours, synchronous sessions with instructor, or other forms of communication
- Assists with discussion forums by facilitating and contributing to discussion to promote student engagement
- Promotes communication between faculty and student by communicating with faculty when there is a problem or concern, or need for clarification on course material
- Provides support for faculty by collecting and reviewing the format of written assignments (such as APA formatting)
- Communicates regularly with the course faculty
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Doctoral degree or doctoral degree in process (at least 21 credits completed)
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with diverse populations
- High level of comfort with technology and the online course format
- Strong knowledge of content area for specific courses
- Strong knowledge of research methodology, learning sciences, learning theory, or other theories of learning for the EdD program
- Classified Title: Teaching Assistant
Starting Salary Range: $20.00 per Hour
Employee Group: Casual
Schedule: Monday-Sunday, 8 hours per week
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department Name: Doctor of Education Online Program
Personnel Area: School of Education
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza (“the flu“) season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law