Are you a May/August 2022 RN graduate seeking a position which will align you with your future goal of becoming an RN? If so, this position is for you!
Candidates must be able to complete orientation over the summer and commit to working 6 (12 hour) shifts over a 6 week cycle during the school year.
- Job Summary
- Working under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, utilizes the skills gained as a student in a Nursing Degree program to assist the Registered Nurse in the care of a group of assigned patients.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Active enrollment as a nursing student in an accredited nursing program; successful completion of Fundamentals of Nursing (or the equivalent) in an accredited Nursing Program with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (transcripts must be submitted at the end of each semester).
- No experience required.
- CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) certification by the Maryland Board of Nursing. BLS (Basic Life Support) certification.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Basic math skills. Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Registered Nurse with formulating and implementing the following: organizing care to provide safe efficient environment, preparing patient for transfer and discharge.
- Assists with transport of patients, specimens, equipment, and supplies as appropriate. Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Complies with established hospital/facility personnel policies.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar mission, vision, goals, objectives and patient care philosophy.
- Obtains data and documents pertinent patient information including vital signs, heights, and patient care activities and nutritional support.
- Obtains information from patient interview, observation, and the patient record to assist the Registered Nurse in the total assessment of the patient.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs basic procedures, collects specimens, provides respiratory therapy support, and obtains EKG's.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, families, staff and their departments to the Registered Nurse. Responds to questions from patient, families and significant others in a prompt, courteous, positive manner, referring them to appropriate personnel if necessary.
- Works cooperatively, communicates effectively and works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.