Research Specialist (Baltimore, MD, United States, 21224)
We are seeking a Research Specialist. The Research Specialist will utilize solid foundation in basic laboratory techniques and experience with techniques associated with molecular biology and immunology.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in planning studies and evaluating/interpreting test results utilizing knowledge of research laboratory procedures and practices involving modern molecular. immunology.
- Responsible for the processing of blood samples from patients in various clinical research studies.
- Responsible for the use of Open specimen, a biorepository inventory system.
- Performs routine laboratory techniques using sterile technique.
- Isolation and manipulation of human blood cells.
- Multicolor flow cytometry analysis.
- Computer based analysis of flow cytometry data.
- Assays of cellular immune function.
- Troubleshooting of technical and experimental issues.
- Selects, develops, performs and evaluates research methods; operates appropriate equipment.
- Uses sterile techniques to avoid contaminating lab experiments. Be knowledgeable of and employ good tissue culture techniques.
- Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, electronic mail, internet searching, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or test reports.
- Uses good practices for data record keeping and analysis.
- Uses universal safety precautions to protect self and co-workers from biohazardous materials, including blood-borne pathogens.
- Monitors inventory levels and proper storage of materials and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maintains equipment and ensures laboratory compliance for annual safety inspections.
- Keeps current knowledge of vendors and suppliers of materials specific to the laboratory requirements. Interacts with company representatives and obtaining quotations.
- Responsible for ordering lab supplies and equipment.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, or related field
- One (1) year of laboratory experience performing relevant techniques
- Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula
- JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits (semester hours) may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job
- Additional experience in a comparable laboratory performing relevant techniques, coupled with a survey knowledge of biological sciences, chemistry, or physics.
Classified Title: Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $16.61-$22.83 HRLY (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M - F 10am - 6:30
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview
Department name: SOM DOM Bay Rheumatology
Personnel area: School of Medicine
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
*JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.