Financial Analyst (Baltimore, MD, United States, 21202)
The Carey Business School seeks a Financial Analyst to join its finance team and assist with budget and actual analysis work. This position reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for helping to analyze and project the financial activities of the School. The incumbent will develop, plan, test and refine financial tools that enable scenario planning and what-if analysis that focus on forward-looking projections.
The ideal candidate must be able to quickly learn and understand key institutional drivers and perform predictive analysis, inclusive of the development of metrics and dashboards for senior leadership. They will perform analysis of financial reports and data, and prepare subsequent narrative analysis for management inclusive of recommendations. They will develop detailed financial models to help reduce cycle times for annual budgeting, projections and reporting. This individual should have the ability to work independently to complete assignments, meet deadlines, and key results.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statement review and variance analysis (compile data, format into reports, analyze and track financial status of actual results in comparison to budget and forecasts with explanation of variances)
- Monthly revenue and student aid reconciliation between various source systems (i.e. SIS, SAP)
- Develop and populate monthly reporting packages for School leadership (i.e. reports, presentations, and dashboards), highlighting trends, projections, and budget variances
- Populate quarterly and annual reporting packages for University Budget Office
- Prepare materials for various internal presentations with School and University leadership
- Prepare and maintain monthly and year-end revenue deferral and expense accrual entries in accordance with GAAP, including close-out process
- Maintain and continually refine complex and detailed financial forecasting models related to revenue and expenses
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve business processes and achieve School’s key performance metrics
- Organize various data sets from multiple sources (SIS, GL, Payroll, CRM, Excel, etc.) to identify trends/variances, create ad hoc templates, reports, financial models, benchmarking, and provide analysis for use by managers and leaders to evaluate business performance
- Assist in coordination of School’s annual budget process; including actual, budget, and forecast data template preparation, communication with budget managers, consolidation, reporting and analysis, from start to finish
- Assemble and summarize data to structure sophisticated reports (ROI, break-even, contribution margin, etc.) on financial status and risks of various business elements, such as marketing, degree, and non-degree programming, etc.
- Coordinate feasibility studies and business plans related to capital projects
- Automate data models and reports, where feasible and advantageous
- Document business processes related to major revenue and expense activity
- Keep informed of laws, regulations and internal policies that apply to Carey Business School activity
- Perform various audits to ensure School remains in compliance with GAAP and university policies
- Other projects as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or business-related field
- Three years of progressively responsible related financial/accounting experience required
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
- Strong project orientation, forecasting, budgeting and analytical skills; excellent communication, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate financial information effectively
- Maintain confidentiality of data and information
- Strong knowledge and proficiency in the use of Excel, Power Point, and Word to create vibrant tables, charts, presentations, and models
- Proven knowledge of financial forecasting, diagnosis, and variance analysis
Classified Title: Financial Analyst
Starting Salary Range: $51,210 - $70,480 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at Harbor East
Department name: Financial & Administration
Personnel area: Carey Business School
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law