Financial Analyst (Baltimore, MD, United States, 21218)
Johns Hopkins Biomedical Engineering (BME) is an interdisciplinary department, part of a cross collaboration effort between the Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) and the School of Medicine (SOM). The Department’s mission is to improve health through excellence in research and education at the interface of engineering, biology, and medicine.
We are seeking a Financial Analyst (FA) who will report to the Financial Manager, leads the budgeting and finance activities for the Department of Biomedical Engineering. The FA will perform analysis and projections relating to business or research trends, oversee the development and monitoring of departmental non-sponsored, discretionary and sponsored budgets, plan and determine costs of business activities; recommend budget adjustments and other cost improvement measures and close out terminated grants and contracts, transfer funding and produce summary documents.
This position will also ensure that all funding is received and that expenditures do not exceed revenue, develop financial planning and cost analysis reports, meet with faculty to review and ensure compliance with university and/or agency regulations and restrictions, and perform comprehensive financial analysis to improve departmental financial effectiveness and compliance with JHU and/or agency regulations and restrictions.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage post-award process including but not limited to allocation of budgets, coordinating the timely and accurate set up of payroll per grant guidelines, processing journal entries and cost transfers as needed, reconciling reports, research related payroll and financial data.
- Facilitate and/or produce specialized sponsored research/project reports utilizing institutional and/or departmental systems).
- Provide guidance and oversight that grant/contract funds remain in compliance with University and award/contractual guidelines, including recommendations to ensure all sponsored awards are reconciled and balanced without a surplus or deficient balance.
- Function as key contact for Shared Services Sponsored Projects as part of the grant/contract fiscal reporting processes including the grant/contract closeout and Financial Status Reporting process.
- Function as key contributor in the annual budgeting process by providing research salary and support information. Ensure that salaries are not on control salary and that all research salary support for faculty and staff is cleared from the departmental default account monthly.
- Provide monthly, periodic and/or ad-hoc financial reporting as requested by Faculty.
- Ensure proper management of all sponsored awards, by ensuring all financial transactions agree with GAAP, NIH Grants Policy Statement, FDP, OMB, CAS, and University.
- Conduct timely review of effort reports and payroll prior to release to the PIs for signoff.
- Interpret data to determine past financial performance and/or to project a financial probability.
- Ensure that expenditures for budgeted grants and contracts are monitored and that reports are prepared to maintain balanced accounts.
- Oversee the procurement process for all sponsored and non-sponsored faculty accounts. Develop and oversee the maintenance of sponsored account budget monitoring systems.
- Develop complex financial reports for forecasting, trending and results analysis.
- Monitor, identify and communicate over expenditures to faculty and administrative staff. Resolve funding shortfalls.
- Keep abreast of laws and regulations that apply in order to maintain up-to-date compliance with all sponsored accounts.
- Reconcile petty cash for sponsored account monthly.
- Identify high-risk subrecipient and maintain compliance with the subrecipient monitoring policies and procedures.
- Review and approve procurement cards by the monthly deadline.
- Perform analysis on budget performance, investigate variances, provide justification, and communicates to leadership as requested.
- Assist in researching expense and volume variances. Seek to resolve any expense posting errors and communicate proper expense allocation as needed.
- Complete monthly reconciliation for the department accounts and analyze budget patterns and project expenditures.
- Extract financial data from various accounting and information systems and perform financial and cost accounting analysis of data.
- Assist in updating/preparing departmental dashboard and executive summary.
- As assigned, generate and distribute monthly reports and create new reports to improve monitoring of revenues/expenses within the department.
- Ensure expenditures for budgets are monitored and reports are prepared to maintain balanced accounts.
- Gather and interpret data, and utilize financial reporting systems to build reports.
This description is a general statement of required duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or other related field.
- Three years progressively responsible related financial/accounting experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
- Analytical competency and proficiency with financial reporting systems.
Classified Title: Financial Analyst
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F varied hours
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: Department of Biomedical Engineering
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law