Job Title: BDS and Impact Investing Specialist
Reports to: Sr. Director of Impact Investing
Internal Title: Specialist II
Department: Impact Investing
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Baltimore, MD/Headquarters
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS' relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS is committed to mobilizing private sector capital to support sustainable enterprise solutions that address the needs of vulnerable people and communities. Over the next 2 years, the CRS II team is seeking to build strong partnerships and capacity to strengthen Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) that contribute to the sustainability of CRS programs. To this end, CRS is seeking a BDS & Impact Investing Specialist who can directly deliver Business Development Services (BDS) and structure a comprehensive BDS support plan and strategy for use across CRS programming in the coming years.
Activities / Responsibilities
- Map BDS providers, incubators and accelerators for partnership across CRS program geographies. This mapping should include: services offered, primary geographies served, training modality (online, in person, etc.) and pricing.
- Evaluate curricula of select BDS providers identified in the mapping to determine the most appropriate providers for CRS-sourced enterprises. Recommend service providers to II team and CRS regional/program leadership and support partnership negotiation with selected providers.
- Evaluate capital and BDS needs for CRS-sourced impact investing opportunities and program-aligned SMEs. Refine existing CRS and external tools for evaluating BDS needs of CRS-sourced enterprises and create new tools, as required. Work with II team leadership to roll-out tools for CRS staff use in target programs/regions.
- Provide capacity strengthening and consulting support for potential investees and enterprises partnering with CRS programs, or link enterprises to providers of BDS identified during the mapping (including creating specific scopes of work for any external providers). Document activities and lessons learned to inform future partnerships and/or internal staffing. Support may include:
- Marketing support (development of market studies, plans)
- Financial management and budgeting support
- Corporate governance strengthening
- Inventory / production management support
- Agronomic support
- Operations support, including plant technical reviews
- Social impact evaluation
- Provide financial analytical guidance to Azure S.A., the local technical services provider for Azure Source Capital, as it expands within El Salvador over the next two years.
- Support oversight of Azure Source Capital financing activities, including contributing to financial analysis, country assessments, in-country meetings with financial institutions, potential donors, and other key stakeholders as it expands operations within El Salvador and Central America over the next two years.
- Support country and regional teams to research and review private sector partnerships, impact investing opportunities and blended finance solutions, including the Youth Agency Strategy team.
- Assist in the implementation of monitoring and reporting mechanisms for CRS impact investments and innovative finance solutions, including evaluation of external tools and/or development of internal assessments.
Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in International Development required, finance or economics required.
- Master's Degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role in finance or business with progressive responsibilities, ideally in the private sector with minimum of two years of experience in non-profit organizations.
- Previous experience providing business and finance consulting or related services.
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society Understanding of partnership principles.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills.
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented.
Spanish Proficiency Required. French Proficiency Preferred.
International and Domestic Travel Required: 40%
Position Duration: Temporary (up to two years)
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Impact Investing Team, Country Program and Regional Staff, PIQA Staff
External: Small and Medium Enterprises, Impact Investors, CRS Partners, Donors
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who shar