Requisition Number: PHARM02450
Extra Help Pharmacy Technician I/II- Inpatient Pharmacy - Graveyard Shift
Kern Medical strives to recruit the highest quality candidates, resulting in a high performance workforce that consistently delivers quality patient care.
Under direct supervision, performs assigned tasks in the operation of the Pharmacy.
Level I: This is the entry level of the Pharmacy Technician flexible series. Incumbents are registered Pharmacy Technicians and perform routine duties in Pharmacy practice. Promotion to Pharmacy Technician II is dependent upon current registration as a Pharmacy Technician by the California Board of Pharmacy, recommendation of the Department Head and approval by the Director of Personnel.
Level II: This is the journey level of the Pharmacy Technician flexible series. Incumbents are registered Pharmacy Technicians. Incumbents perform routine duties in Pharmacy practice. Promotion to Pharmacy Technician III is dependent upon current registration as a Pharmacy Technician by the California Board of Pharmacy, recommendation of the Department Head and approval by the Director of Personnel.
- Refills physician's orders by placing patient's medications in individual drawers in medication carts; refills other medication requests from nursing units; prepares individualized unit dose preparations for patients; performs manual filing functions.
- Fills requests from nursing units for floor stock medications and charges items to that unit; delivers controlled substances to requesting nursing units.
- Retrieves physician's order copies from nursing units and returns medications to the proper unit.
- Assists in the control and storage of inventory; notes items which appear to be low in level; receives and unpacks incoming stock and places it on the shelves; removes unacceptable or expired medication from inventory for return or discard.
- Cleans and cares for equipment, carts, medications and Pharmacy fixtures and automated pharmacy equipment.
- Maintains patient medication profiles by properly charging and crediting computer system for inpatients and outpatients.
- Receives prescriptions from outpatients, enters data into computer system and assists pharmacist with record keeping and charging/crediting; assists in dispensing completed prescriptions to outpatients or discharge patients.
- Fills orders using automated dispensing devises and completes basic functions, such as filling cells (outpatient), filling/removing items in MedStations (PYXIS); performs report checking/resolves discrepancies and performs basic trouble shooting.
- Reduces bulk medications into unit dose or unit of use packaging with proper labeling and lot numbers; assists in simple labeling and simple dilutions.
- Prepares sterile solutions using aseptic technique manually and with automated equipment.
- Operates hospital information system for printing fill lists for cart filling, ambulatory prescriptions, charges, and label printing.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Level I: Current registration by the California Board of Pharmacy as a Pharmacy Technician.
Level II: One year experience as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee with Kern Medical or equivalent pharmacy practice.
Level I/II: Possession and maintenance of a current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) card.
Appointees not possessing the BLS card must successfully complete appropriate training and qualify for the BLS card within 60 days of employment.
- Employees must maintain all health requirements designated by Kern Medical;
- Depending on assignment incumbents may be required to possess and maintain specific certificates of competency as a condition of employment;
- A background check may be required for this classification.
All Kern Medical employees are designated “Disaster Service Workers”. In the event of a disaster or civil disorder, all Kern Medical employees are to remain at work or to report to work in a safe and practicable manner.