As part of our software engineering team, Technical Product Managers (TPMs) work with our internal business partners to provide value to the organization with software products including our Constellation genomics data analysis platform and both commercial and in-house LIMS (laboratory information management system) products. We support a variety of different business units such as laboratory operations, R&D, process development, customer support, genetic counseling, reporting, bioinformatics, statistics, and more.
TPMs need to be able to understand both the business processes of the groups we work with, and the technical details of the software to be an effective liaison for our department. This knowledge is used to discuss potential solutions and help drive decision-making, and then to be able to prioritize, translate and document those conclusions into detailed use cases and technical requirements.
- Translate business, market and clinical needs into clearly written technical product requirements and specifications.
- Act as a subject matter expert on our software products to provide guidance to stakeholders and create a shared understanding among business and technical teams.
- Produce deliverables that facilitate better understanding for feedback such as flow diagrams, data models, pros/cons, prototypes, wireframes and other illustrations.
- Build confidence with our business partners by adding value to discussions, being responsive, and following through on action items.
- Maintain tracking of requests from user groups and prioritize those for time allotment and release planning.
- Aid in creation and communication of product roadmap and development schedules for project stakeholders.
- Incorporate a focus on quality into product design, and work closely with development and software quality assurance teams on product and process improvements.
- Develop strong hands-on technical knowledge of software products and be able to aid in tasks ranging from configuration to testing and support.
- BS or higher in related major or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years of direct experience with software product management
- Experience with full-stack web application development
- Extensive experience in creating commercial software product requirements
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge in following areas of software development:
- Software product requirements
- Software technical design
- Software project management
- Software QA
- JIRA or similar issue tracking system
- Desirable technical skills:
- DB design understanding and SQL skills
- Comfortable with Linux command line usage
- Object-oriented programming knowledge (especially Java)
- Cloud/AWS basics
- Useful domain knowledge:
- LIMS, LIS, LES, and/or ELN (especially LabVantage)
- Genetics and bioinformatics
- Genomics data analysis
- Laboratory processes and instrumentation
- Laboratory software compliance requirements
- Comfortable contributing to and leading meetings with business partners in variety of positions and domain areas to receive product requests and guide decision-making
- Ability to understand and describe technical complexities in a simplified way appropriate to different audiences
- Excellent written communication skills to produce clear, concise and correct technical documentation
- Strong ability to comprehend complex problems and apply knowledge to propose potential solutions
- Be able to break down large projects into granular milestones and track progress.
The Planet Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Location: Austin, TX