Software Development Engineer, Solutions Architecture Customer Engagements Engineering
The AWS Solutions Architecture Customer Engagements Engineering team owns products and tools that thousands of AWS Solutions Architects (SAs) use to work efficiently and securely with customers. We build tools that ensure internal AWS Accounts are meeting AWS security requirements and best practices, allowing them to work collaboratively with customers.
We are looking for software engineers who are both passionate and skilled at working on distributed cloud-scale systems. As part of this team, you will be responsible for helping to design and build one or more systems that together powers our service. You will have the opportunity to work on the development of the end-to-end experience of this service. Roles include working on back-end API development, security and identity, serverless distributed systems, NoSQL data storage, complex event orchestration and automation, real-time data processing, and infrastructure automation. In addition, we face all the usual scale, availability, latency, and co-ordination challenges of running a cloud-scale service.
Great candidates for this position possess a strong understanding of computer science and a passion to learn new technologies to solve complex problems. You will have the opportunity to apply this passion by leveraging your technical skills in areas such as algorithms, distributed systems, web development, front-end/back-end design, and more. As a member of our engineering team, you will ultimately have the opportunity to not only work and learn from others, but also an opportunity to drive the direction of our product and become a technical leader in our greater organization.
Key job responsibilities
You will help our team solve problems such as:
- Design and implement fault-tolerant systems and services that run at large scale and ensure high availability guarantees
- Dive into complex architectures, research and identify new technology that can help optimize performance
- Design and implement systems that will help our service achieve 5x the current scale within a year
- Design and implement software that will help minimize outages and improve the availability of our service
About the team
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Our team is mostly located in Austin, TX, but we’re very flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. Most engineers generally keep in-office hours three days a week from 10am to 6pm CDT. Some of us may come in earlier or stay later, depending on the day.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week a month, but as the team grows this will lessen. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Everyone on the team plays a role in raising the bar on how we develop complex, scalable, reliable code for our team. Managers have frequent 1:1s with their engineers, and career conversations where we seek to understand people’s career motivations and provide honest, respectful feedback to facilitate them achieving their goals.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust
Come join us as we continue to build a cloud-scale service designed to delight customers!
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- 3+ years professional experience in software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithms and data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Deep experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, Kotlin, NodeJS, or Go
- Good (English) communication and analytical skills
Experience in one or more of the following:
- Distributed systems design
- Microservices design
- Serverless design
- AWS Services including, but not limited to: Lambda, Step Functions, DynamoDB, API Gateway, CloudFront, SQS, SNS, AppSync, KMS, and Cognito.
- Linux OS
- Agile software development
- Testing techniques and frameworks
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.