Sr. Business Intelligence Engineer
Role can be located in Seattle, WA or Austin, TX.
The Amazon Gift Registry (AGR) L6 Business Intelligence Engineer serves critical role in developing and maintaining AGR’s analytical capabilities and data integrity. Excelling in this role exemplifies Ownership, Are Right A Lot, Earns Trust, Insists on Highest Standards, and Deliver Results. This role will own the data infrastructure and reporting capabilities across Birthday, Custom, Holiday and Wedding Registries worldwide, including but not limited to (1) Design and implementation of scalable and extensible data pipelines transforming raw registry data into aggregated reporting and analysis; (2) Creating the data pipelines that power onsite features and internal programs (ex. Completion Discount, Direct Mail, APT Metrics); and (3) serving as an analytical subject matter expert for the team, raising the bar while accurately and efficiently supporting the business’s data needs. Success in this role will not only be meeting the business’ existing data needs, but implementing solutions that can easily scale to support additional products and marketplaces in the future.
The BIE owns the AGR Redshift Cluster, including ongoing maintenance, data deletions and ensuring privacy compliance. The BIE will collaborate with AGR product managers, product marketing managers, and international partners to develop analyses from ambiguous business requirements in order to support strategic decision making. The BIE will assist the on call engineer with issues related to data quality of features depending on AGR data. The BIE will continuously iterate on reporting pipelines within the AGR Redshift cluster, in order to simplify existing inefficient data pipelines and reporting queries. The BIE will ensure accurate onsite attribution, enabling a more granular understanding of customer acquisition and engagement with AGR products. The BIE will develop tools to automate and simplify repeated requests for analysis, for example comparing two cohorts of registries in orders to analyze differences in outputs.
* Analyzing registry performance, uncovering trends in order to develop insights that improve product and strategy decision making.
* Own weekly, monthly, and quarterly reporting, developing new metrics as business needs evolve.
* Iterate on existing ETL pipelines and data models to accommodate new business lines, while anticipating future scaling needs.
* Imagine and develop new ways to present data that add value and insight
* Learn and understand a broad range of Amazon’s data resources and analytical tool, knowing how, when, and which to use
* 7+ years of Business Intelligence (BI), Analytics and Data Engineering development experience
* BA/BS degree in computer science engineering, economics, statistics, mathematics, econometrics, or a similar quantitative field.
* Advanced knowledge of SQL and Excel
* Proven analytical skills with the ability to use data to back up assumptions and develop business cases.
* Experience in relational and dimensional datasets, data warehousing, and ETL techniques to deliver BI solutions in a business environment with large-scale complex datasets
* Experience partnering with business owners directly to understand requirements and advise on the analytical method needed to solve the problem
* Strong verbal/written communication & data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams and develop clear, thoughtful, and comprehensive analyses.
* Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Finance, Statistics or a related discipline.
* Familiarity with AWS solutions such as EC2, DynamoDB, S3, and Redshift.
* Experience with statistical analysis using R, SAS, or Python.
* Familiarity with A/B testing and statistical analysis methods.
* Detail-oriented with an aptitude for solving ambiguous and unstructured problems.
* Prior experience delivering actionable insights for a consumer business.