Principal Privacy Specialist, Amazon
This position defines Privacy compliance obligations and drives large cross functional implementation initiatives at Amazon. This includes working with a large set of business and technical leaders as well as central Privacy product and engineering tools to build both processes and tools to raise the Privacy bar.
This role is inherently cross-functional and requires a strong ability to influence others - you will work closely with teams across the company, including Legal, engineering, and business owners. You must be able to effectively partner to deliver privacy goals, including continually improving the corresponding processes and technology and trusted to operate with independence.
Key job responsibilities
You will leverage your deep privacy experience to drive large-scale efforts that solve significant problems. You will decompose complex privacy processes into straight-forward solutions, often inventing new ones. We are looking for a critical thinker who is also technically adept and thrives on solving challenges in partnership with teams across Amazon. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than many programs and display high levels of bias for action, earning trust and ownership.
This position will be responsible for the following activities:
* Identifying and driving compliance to global privacy-related regulations, policies, and customer promises across all of Amazon.
* Creating clear guidance for developers, product managers and other Amazonians to understand applicable Privacy controls and steps to manage compliance.
* Partnering with legal, public policy, public relations, and other teams to identify emerging Privacy-related regulatory, market or other compliance needs.
* Deep diving existing strategic solutions and implementations to enable Amazon teams to meet Compliance controls.
* Working with product and engineering teams on development of new privacy tools to enable compliance at scale.
* Developing and effectively communicating Privacy policies and standards.
* Driving effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities.
A day in the life
This role requires Privacy thought leaders that love Privacy and solving complex problems with a large and diverse set of colleagues. You will work with legal and public policy teams to stay abreast of the Privacy landscape. You will then prioritize key initiatives to drive across Amazon, creating clear and simple guidance and identifying the in-scope stakeholders and necessary compliance tools. You will then create and execute action plans to drive compliance while reporting to executive management on progress.
About the team
The CDO Privacy team within Amazon’s Information Security organization is responsible for delivering privacy solutions for protecting Amazon.com customer’s trust. We partner across Amazon’s Consumer and Digital business units to build environment where customer privacy is highest priority. You will help enhance awareness and deliver the Privacy strategy across Amazon’s retail experiences including but not limited to Amazon.com, Alexa, Prime Video, Kindle, and our subsidiaries (e.g. Audible, Zappos, Whole Foods).
* Bachelor's degree in Business or Technology, or equivalent experience in technology companies.
* 10+ years of Privacy, compliance or risk management experience.
* Experience managing compliance to privacy-focused regulations, such as GDPR, CCPA, and COPPA.
* Strong knowledge of risk management methods and industry best practices.
* Analytical decision making with a demonstrated ability to problem solve, make decisions in complex situations and drive issues to completion.
* Ability to communicate effectively across internal and external organizations, with both technical and non-technical audiences.
* Strong understanding of modern data processing environments, service oriented architectures, cloud computing technologies and relevant security and privacy standards.
* Mechanism-driven approach to distilling strategy into action plans and driving stakeholders to a common goal.
* Ability to take ownership, self-motivate, and deliver results in ambiguous environments.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner to executives.
* Graduate or Law Degree
* Security or Privacy industry certifications
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.