Box is growing fast - real fast - and we’re just getting started. Our opportunity is meaningful: 500 million knowledge workers worldwide, struggling to manage, share and secure information. Box’s mission is to power how the world works together. Over the past 10+ years, we have completely redefined the way people work together, becoming the global leader in cloud content management.
We're looking for an accounting leader to effectively build and lead the Accounts Payable (AP) and General Accounting function. As Manager, Accounts Payable you will lead, develop and mentor two AP Specialists responsible for processing PO and Non-PO invoices, Expense Reports, and resolving invoicing discrepancies and queries as well as manage one GL Accountant responsible for accounting, reconciliation, analysis and compliance associated with the general accounting and shared services functions. This includes procure to pay, prepaid and accruals, accounting for bank accounts, corporate cards, and employee travel and expense reimbursement. You will also actively participate to the greater Controllership team initiatives and closely collaborate with the other Controllership functions, including International teams, and Strategic Finance, People and Places, Marketing, Legal, and various business units.
- Lead and mentor a team, leveraging world class tools, processes, and personnel, to deliver against the responsibilities and objectives of the department.
- Strategic planning for the team resources including team roadmap, career discussions, development plans, effective and timely performance plans when a Boxer is not performing to expectations.
- Drive performance of the AP function by beating SLA and monitoring weekly metrics.
- Own, perform, and maintain the tools, controls, and policies related to Accounts Payable, like Travel & Entertainment (T&E), Global Purchasing Policy (GPP), Corp Card, etc.
- Being knowledgeable of and bringing insight on world class tools and processes. Align with global tools, policies and processes wherever possible and practical.
- Define and maintain SLA’s for the team including but not limited to Coupa Invoice Aging, AP vendor Inbox, ServiceDesk (internal) tickets, Pending Receipts Aging, CorpCard Aging, Account Recons preparation and review.
- Accurate, timely and efficient processing of accounts payable, prepaid, accruals, other assets and liabilities, travel and entertainment, corporate cards, and bank disbursements.
- Oversee the implementation, maintenance and recurring optimization of tools, processes and readout and escalation strategies to effectively monitor and communicate the “health” of the Shared Service Functions. Process should be such that critical issues are detected, analyzed, called out if required, and ultimately resolved timely with minimal impact to the financial statements and actual results reporting process. Process should also provide Box with a quantitative basis for identifying and assessing the financial impact of sub-optimal processes in the Shared Service Functions and identifying and prioritizing recommendations for improvement.
- Actively participate with the wider Controllership team in driving the Finance Systems roadmap, appropriately prioritizing initiatives and helping to ensure automated solutions for Shared Service Functions are implemented timely and effectively.
- Collaboration with the greater Controllership team, including the International team, as well as Strategic Finance, the People Organization, Facilities, Legal and various business units on Shared Service Function matters with cross functional impact. This specifically, but is not limited to acquisitions, system implementations, market expansions or other matters which impact Shared Service Functions processes. Influence the outcome to optimize the trade-off between stakeholder satisfaction and time to market with the Shared Service Functions needs for effectiveness and efficiency of processing and reconciliation.
- Ensure accurate and timely recording to the G/L for Shared Service Functions. This includes the ability to analyze the accuracy of Americas Shared Service Functions expenses and related balance sheet accounts in the G/L and report out monthly on the accuracy of the results and explain any large or unusual fluctuations (Flux).
- Accurate and timely reconciliation of Americas Shared Service Functions balance sheet accounts, including timely and accurate clearing of related reconciling items, in accordance with Box policy, to ensure accurate financial results in the G/L. For clarity, this includes bank and investment accounts as well as other assets and other liabilities accounts.
- Oversee root cause analysis of recurring reconciliation issues and recommend and influence the implementation of process improvements and tools to correct and mitigate these.
- Effectively serve as the lead interface for Americas Shared Service Functions matters for the auditors including accurate and timely preparation of and explanations for all SOX and audit related requests.
- Assist with or be responsible for other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned.
- BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- Chartered Accountant, CPA, or other equivalent qualified accountant a plus
- 5+ years relevant work experience in general accounting functions including procure to pay, general ledger accounting and travel and expense. Previous shared service center experience a plus.
- 1+ years of leadership and management experience with proven results for building and leading highly effective teams.
- Experience with recurring metrics tracking, monitoring, and analysis required.
- Experience with AP systems; Coupa and Concur. NetSuite experience a plus.
- System and process architecture, troubleshooting, reengineering and mapping a plus.
- Project team level participation in new systems implementations a strong plus.
- Interacting with external parties including auditors and other service providers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to adhere to the highest ethical standards and unwavering integrity.
- Ability to GSD and prioritize for both self and team.
- Well-developed organization and time management skills.
- Well-developed sense of urgency and follow through. Be on top of emails and AP Backlog.
- Ability to foresee operational backlogs or issues and plan accordingly. Be ahead of the curve by monitoring team performance and metrics.
- Ability to think strategically and build a vision for the team (in addition to being tactical) foreseeing growth and development opportunities.
- Ability to plan and lead projects successfully, motivate employees with meaningful goals and projects.
- Stand out leadership and effective team and individual management practices.
- Strong system and data flow knowledge. Ability to learn and adapt to new flows and software technologies.
- High-functioning, working knowledge of relevant accounting practices and procedures including US GAAP. Though this is not a technical accounting team role; a qualified candidate will have commanding knowledge, skills and abilities with accounting including journals and reconciliations preparation and review.
- Strong analytical, research, problem solving and evaluative thinking skills with an acute attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills - including ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization.
- Reciprocal approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations.
- Ability to thrive in a growing, complex, fast-paced organization and ability to handle multiple projects under pressure.
- Strong work ethic, and ability to work independently, but also knows how to have fun while doing it!
Box is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building an inclusive environment for all employees.