Percona is a respected thought leader in the open source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and MariaDB to open source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have 250 people in almost 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
As a Lead Database Migration Consultant, your primary responsibility is the successful migration of large datasets from an Oracle database system to a comparable PostgreSQL RDBMS.
The Oracle installations will range in both size and complexity. The migration operation itself may be simple or complex, requiring multiple steps over an extended span of time. The data-sets can be sized anywhere from several hundred gigabytes to many petabytes. The cluster's configuration will be variable and can be as simple as a standalone server or as complex as a multi-node cluster with automated failover between data centers with an uptime requirement of 4 9s.
You will execute “out of the box“ solutions as you leverage the myriad technologies, methods and best practices in your arsenal. You are comfortable using the various PostgreSQL tools and extensions such as foreign data wrappers, and the ora2pg extension. Equally so, you are familiar with standard enterprise tools often seen in Oracle environments such as GoldenGate.
You will work remotely and most people work from their homes. Up to 50% travel is expected (as safety regulations permit), both for onsite projects and internal meetings.
What You Will Do
- Assess the existing Oracle databases and gauge the complexity and estimate the efforts required for a migration
- Determine the best migration target based on the nature of the application and the type of data and the business logic in the database, and if PostgreSQL or MySQL or any other Open source database suits better as a target database technology for migration
- Prepare data migration strategies and designs for each project, including plans to avoid downtime when required
- Lead migration projects and work closely with the database migration teams at Percona so that the project is aligned with the standards set by Percona
- Train internal teams on the PostgreSQL development skill set and be a single point of contact for our Global Services teams on PostgreSQL development and migration-related assistance
- Perform migration of PL/SQL code that includes Packages, Procedures and Functions from Oracle to PostgreSQL
- At least 5 years of experience in performing Oracle to PostgreSQL migrations and in helping clients port applications from Oracle to PostgreSQL with alternate approaches that are open source
- At least 5 years of experience in writing PLpgSQL and migrating Packages and Procedures from Oracle to PostgreSQL.
- At least 1 year of experience in writing Oracle PL/SQL code
- At least 1 year of experience coding in Python or Golang or Java - expertise in bash scripting is a must
- Knowledgeable in various alternatives for syntax and features only applicable to Oracle e.g. Hierarchical queries in Oracle use CONNECT BY, Oracle uses rownum, etc., so you're able to find the best alternatives in PostgreSQL for various Oracle features
- Knowledgeable in the target data types in PostgreSQL that suit the corresponding Oracle data types while migrating objects from Oracle
What Will Make You Stand Out
- You've used migration tools like Ora2PG or Schema Conversion toolkit from AWS
- You've migrated data from Oracle to PostgreSQL using FDW's or custom tools or existing open source tools. Knowledge on tools that enable continuous replication of data from Oracle to PostgreSQL is a plus
- Experience with training development and delivery
- Experience in a variety of complex environments in verticals such as finance, healthcare, government and consulting
- Cross-over experience with MySQL or MongoDB
- Project management experience/certifications
This position is for the Americas time zones, and you must be able to work full-time during US business hours. Travel requirement up to 50% as safety regulations permit.