H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $26 billion. We-re known to lead the way with creative new concepts, and now we-re in the Restaurant & Bar business, combining exceptional food and outstanding service for a distinctive, yet familiar neighborhood dining experience.
As a Bartender in Restaurants, you-ll play a key role in our guests- bar experience. You-ll interact with them and get to know them by name, while ensuring they have a positive and memorable experience. You-ll take their orders, prepare their drinks, run food, and maintain cleanliness of the bar area.
Once you-re eligible, you-ll become an Owner in the company, so we-re looking for commitment, hard work, and focus on quality and Customer service. -Partner-owned- means our most important resources-People-drive the innovation, growth, and success that makes H-E-B The Greatest Omnichannel Retailing Company.
Do you have a:
HEART FOR PEOPLE- energy and interpersonal skills to interact with your guests?
HEAD FOR BUSINESS- know-how to combine first-class customer service with merchandising and selling?
PASSION FOR RESULTS- initiative and adaptability? willingness to serve in a fast-paced restaurant environment?
We are looking for:
- bartending and Point of Sale (POS) systems experience (preferred)
- general culinary knowledge
- advanced customer service and communication skills
What is the work?
Customer Service / Sales:
- Promotes a safe environment for all guests through responsible serving
- Builds strong relationships with customers in a variety of situations
- Models a sense of urgency related to accuracy, speed, product quality, and the service experience for guests
- Welcomes and serves all guests who enter the bar area (bar and tabletops)
- Takes orders from customers; assists with menu and beverage selections, including alcoholic beverages
- Provides detailed knowledge of menu items and specials
- Provides detailed knowledge of beer, wine and mixed beverages
- Properly opens and presents wine bottles; pours beer, wine, and mixed beverages to restaurant specifications
- Serves food and packaged products as requested
- Processes cash, check, debit, and credit transactions accurately and quickly
- Uses suggestive selling techniques / merchandises effectively to meet guest needs and build department sales
- Executes recipes and techniques accurately from memory
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems in a manner that builds strong relationships; escalates if needed
- Performs some prep / juicing of fresh produce for beverages (example - garnishes)
- Prepares, packages, and merchandises product to SOP
- Assists in technical areas as needed
- Properly uses all bar tools provided and uses the correct technique for each item prepared
Compliance / Food Safety / Sanitation:
- Ensures compliance with TABC regulations
- Ensures compliance with departmental standard operating procedures (SOPs) and Store operating procedures
- Accurately inventories product to SOP
- Maintains hold times on all fresh product served at the bar
- Maintains all logs in area of assigned responsibility
- Buses / cleans tables; performs deep clean of dining, ordering, and bar areas
- Maintains beverage station and bar areas
- Maintains sanitation in beverage and food prep areas and display cases
- Properly handles, operates, and maintains equipment
What is your background?
- Minimum age 18 (mandatory)
- Related experience
- Bartending experience (preferred)
- Experience with restaurant Point of Sale (POS) systems (preferred)
- Completion of Alcohol Seller-s Training certification upon hire
Do you have what it takes to be a fit as an H-E-B Bartender?
- General culinary knowledge; basic understanding of nutrition values and ingredients
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced customer service skills
- Organization and planning skills
- Math, reading, and writing skills
- Ability to handle guest feedback and resolve problems effectively
- Ability to maintain a smile, even when balancing multiple priorities
- Ability to memorize and recall verbal orders from guests
- Function in a fast-paced, retail environment
- Work extended hours and / or rotating schedules
- Safely maneuver around moving mechanical parts
- Frequently be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic materials
• Constantly* reach at waist, grasp
- Frequently stand, walk, pivot,
- Occasionally reach at overhead, reach at shoulder, reach at knee, reach at floor, bend, stoop, squat, crouch, kneel, climb stairs, twist, push / pull with arms, pinch, perform fine motor movements, shoulder circumduction
- Occasionally be exposed to ambient temperatures, and loud noise
- Frequently be exposed to wet and cold conditions
- Demonstrate the ability to lift 80 lbs, and manage in excess of 80 lbs.
- While there may be exceptions, the measurements noted are generally defined as-Constantly: 5.5 hours per 8-hour day; Frequently: 2.5 - 5.5 hours per 8-hour day; Occasionally: 0 - 2.5 hours per 8-hour day
It is the responsibility of each individual Partner to never lift beyond his or her own safe lifting limit. If an item is too heavy to lift, push or pull, and / or carry, the Partner must break the box down into lighter, smaller, more manageable components, or ask for assistance from another Partner or a manager.