University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology
Business Services Intermediate Professional (Data Analyst)
Position #00769649 – Requisition #17703
- Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Anesthesiology has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Business Services Intermediate Professional (Data Analyst) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals.
Example of Work Performed:
The Data Analyst is responsible for understanding the complexities, systems and the funds flow between the University of Colorado School of Medicine, Children's Hospital Colorado, and CU Medicine while supporting the Department's Finance, Administration and Operations teams in a variety of business analysis tasks in order to provide accurate and timely requests for financial data and reporting, analysis, projections and various projects. The Data Analyst will organize and manage large and varied data sets in order to analyze healthcare data to present to the Director of Finance & Administration. Projects of this nature will include, but are not limited to, clinical efficiency tracking, national benchmarking for clinical income and productivity, self-pay pricing calculations based on historical data, and custom reporting for faculty sub-specialty groups. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Variance analysis and trending on monthly results and key performance indicators
- Establish and maintain systems to analyze and report key performance metrics to aid management in the identification of improvement opportunities and internal best practices
- Develop appropriate variance reports for use in financial and clinical analysis of section/department clinical activities
- Respond to reconciliation requests and/or requests for data
- Establish standardized monthly reports utilizing CU Medicine reporting systems to be provided to Senior Administration and faculty leadership, including status of incomplete medical documentation
- Gather and interpret data to be used in productivity benchmark reporting requests
- Supporting revenue cycle management, reporting, budgeting and analysis
- Performing data tracking and analysis on faculty billing, productivity and operations
- Developing productivity analysis tools and reports to be used in the monthly preparation and review of financial information
- Use appropriate data collection instruments to substantiate recommendations for both strategic and tactical improvements through reports and visualization tools (e.g. Power BI, PowerPivot, Excel, etc.).
- Contributing to the clinical analysis to use information to calculate performance-based clinical incentives
- Helping prepare education materials and communications for faculty regarding all billing aspects of anesthesia
- Contributing to faculty promotions through reporting on individual key performance indicators
- Identifying areas for streamlining, process improvement opportunities and best practices using UCD and CU Medicine Systems
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Diversity and Equity:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, healthcare administration, public administration, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution
- 1 year of professional level experience collecting and analyzing data regarding business operations and productivity using a variety of reporting systems.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- 1 years progressive experience in finance, accounting, data analysis or other quantitative field, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Experience using reporting systems such as Power BI, PowerPivot, Excel, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of clinical revenue modeling, revenue cycle management and fund accounting.
- Eagerness to learn to expand and development knowledgebase and skills.