Patient Navigator for the Auburn Office
Hematology Oncology Associates of CNY (HOACNY), voted one of Central New Yorks Best Places to Work, is looking for a full time Patient Navigator to join our professional team. HOACNY provides cancer care services, Monday through Friday, at three convenient locations in East Syracuse, Syracuse and Auburn. If you are a highly motivated, team oriented individual looking to make a difference in your career, please apply now.
Patient Navigator Float
POSITION STATUS: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Performs administrative duties for physicians and other members of the clinical team. The patient navigator travels with their specific (assigned) physician, if their particular physician does travel, between our offices, then, the patient navigator goes with them. If the physician does not travel, and stays at one office, then the patient navigator will stay at the one location. Therefore, there could be traveling involved with this position, depending on the doctor that is assigned to them. However with the float position the patient navigator is covering PTO for patient navigators, so the float position,can cover at any location for any physician.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Patient Navigator Manager
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work may require sitting for long periods of time; also stooping, bending and stretching. Occasionally lifting paper weighing up to 30 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, fax machine, telephone, copier, and other office equipment as necessary. It is necessary to view and type on computer screens for long periods and to work in an environment which can be very stressful.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent contact with staff and patients. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in team huddle.
- Provides support services to patients and medical staff.
- Schedules referral appointments, admissions and testing for patients as instructed.
- Books, coordinates, tracks and reschedules patient appointments. Relays necessary message to the staff regarding same.
- Face to Face patient check out process for follow up appointments.
- Discusses reschedules with Physician and Advanced Practice directly.
- Answers patient questions regarding appointments and testing.
- Maintains and updates current information on providers schedules.
- Assist with acquiring insurance verifications.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
- Enhances skills through continuing education.
- Attends required meetings and participates in teams as requested.
- Duplicates/faxes/forms as directed
- Telephones patients who have missed appointments and reschedules. Documents in the patients chart.
- Answers telephone (incoming patient phone calls), screens calls, takes messages and provides information in accordance with established procedures for documentation.
The only difference in this position from the regular Patient Navigator position is that the Patient Navigator Float position requires traveling to all the other different office locations to cover for different physicians. This float position is critical because this position covers PTO and sick time for other Patient Navigators. This position can also cover for the Phone Patient Navigator PTO as well.
This above list may not include all of the duties assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Knowledge of medical office procedures, medical terminology and medical records. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and basic arithmetic. Skill in operating a computer, fax machine, multi-line telephone system, and copy machine. Need ability to speak clearly and concisely and to also establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, peers and clinical staff.
Education: High School Diploma
Experience: Two years experience in a medical office setting. Knowledge of medical terminology and medical records. Excellent computer skills, and communication skills necessary.
Certificate / License: None
Alternate To Minimum Qualifications
Additional education that is appropriate may be substituted for one or two years of Medical office experience.
Hematology Oncology Associates of CNY is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. HOA is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.