Reliant Medical Group is seeking a Patient Service Specialist (Medical Receptionist) to join our exciting and innovative organization!
Position: Full-time 38.75 hours a week
Hours: Monday through Friday hours vary between 7:30 AM-5:00 PM
No weekends or Holidays.
This person would coordinate the provision of multiple services to patients performing a full range of administrative support services for clinic/site including collection of co-payments, registration and scheduling of patients for medical procedures, tests, associated ancillary services and other related duties. Our Patient Service Specialists ensure the highest level of patient/customer satisfaction.
- Verifies, re-verifies and authorizes patient insurance coverage and eligibility utilizing computer based patient registration/scheduling system. Verifies and updates demographic, insurance, and other patient information. Confirms, collects, and posts patient co-payments and other outstanding balances.
- Maintains records and makes daily cash deposit as assigned.
- Receives and addresses patient-care related telephone calls. Provides routine information on procedures and standard policies, refers matters to appropriate person within department/site.
- Identifies problem related priorities, and responds to emergency need to interrupt or contact physician/provider within guidelines. Resolves patients' questions regarding clinic schedules and billing concerns; handles requests for prescription refills, reschedules appointments, etc.
- Documents appropriate information in computer system.
- Prepares patient charts. Ensures completeness by locating test results, reminding patients of appointments, including appropriate forms, etc., for patient appointments.
- Updates and maintains telephone messages interdepartmentally. Follows through on requests. Distributes messages to appropriate provider or others for appropriate action.
- Maintains recall lists and contacts patients
- Participates on a variety of committees that relate to appointment schedules as the expert in the creation and maintenance of provider schedules.
- Provides patient education regarding managed care plans and referral process. Assists patients with referral questions, concerns, etc. Counsels and advises patients of available options.
- Enters new referrals or ensures that existing referral numbers are linked in the system to ensure managed care requirements are met
- Reconciles all referral discrepancies. Calls patients, employers, insurance companies, etc., as required for further verification of insurance, demographic data, medical service authorization, etc.
- Works collaboratively with primary care practices, patients and specialty practices to process outgoing referrals prior to scheduled visits. Follows up with practices that do not issue a referral or obtain referral on a timely basis
- Interfaces with staff, providers and patients regarding denied referrals. Documents information and assists with alternate plan of care, if needed
- Follows up on a variety of reports, such as indisposed referral report, etc., resolving discrepancies as required
- Reviews billing rejections/denials to resolve insurance issues to maximize reimbursement, including, but not limited to, obtaining retroactive referral numbers for bill that were denied for no referral authorization, etc.
- Completes and maintains patients' schedules. Notifies providers, patients and others of changes such as new scheduling, re-scheduling, no-shows, emergency appointments and add-ons
- Achieves and retains super-user status on current system software to best manage a provider's appointment schedules. Creates Provider Schedules for all providers as required. Provides training and support to all members of the site/department on the current software
- Schedules and coordinates patient visits, medical procedures for both inpatients and outpatients. Communicates with patients regarding all information related to scheduled appointment
- Tracks arriving and departing providers, adds or deletes schedules as appropriate. Maintains existing provider schedules, changes and updates as needed. Communicates changes to appropriate parties as assigned. Monitors Provider Schedules for accuracy and ensures they adhere to the standards/policies for appointment schedules. Follows up with team leaders/managers as appropriate
- In collaboration with training department, acts as a preceptor to the site schedule
- coordinators, acts as a resource through feedback and support mechanisms regarding all aspects of schedule maintenance. Communicates scheduling updates, issues, etc., to site schedule coordinators through a variety of sources such as monthly bulletins, quarterly meetings, etc
- Produces and tracks a variety of statistical reports
- May inform nursing staff or others of laboratory and diagnostic study results; collects and mails test results
- May escort patient to examination rooms and chaperone patients as required
- May process standard and non-standard business office administrative paperwork, such as purchase requisitions, employee time sheets, expense vouchers, etc. Follows-up with personnel outside the medical office to expedite timely action and alleviate, or report delays as appropriate
- Provides guidance to departmental personnel in medical office on administrative policies and procedures
- Performs miscellaneous clerical duties, including collating, sorting, faxing, filing, and distributing and retrieving documents and mail
- Ensures adequate inventory of office supplies and basic maintenance of office equipment
- Identifies and reports emergency situations to providers, nursing and others
- Complies with health and safety requirements and with regulatory agencies such as DPH, etc
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives
- Enhances professional growth and development through educational programs, seminars, etc
- Attends a variety of meetings, conferences, and seminars as required or directed
- Regular, reliable and predictable attendance is required
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
- High School diploma with additional specialized medical secretarial/medical office training preferred
- Demonstrated superior customer service skills, including the ability to multi-task and resolve patient concerns in a timely manner
- Ability to think critically and exercise sound judgment
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Knowledge of various software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, etc