System Development Manager, AWS Commerce Platform
Are you interested in working on development projects to build innovative cloud solutions and solve the world's most complex technical problems? Would you like to lead a software engineering team that builds solutions to support the use of AWS services and management of cloud infrastructure costs for the US intelligence community? AWS Commerce Platform provides capabilities that enable our customers to purchase AWS services, understand and manage their cloud infrastructure costs. Engineers in AWS Commerce Platform tackle some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world, processing trillions of events per month.
Our specialized engineering team builds, launches and manages solutions for AWS Commerce Platform on the latest Amazon Dedicated Cloud (ADC). These ADCs are often isloated from public internet creating unique engineering challenges and opportunities to innovate. We take great pride in supporting the mission of our AWS customers.
You will be working with passionate software engineers, system engineers and technical managers. You will be developing software and automation solutions to accelerate and simplify the building of Commerce Platform in new ADCs across the world. These solutions impact the entire organization and play a key role towards accomplishing AWS organizational goals for 2022 and 2023.
* Develop your skills and advance your career at one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
* Solve big problems with the possibility externalizing them to customers.
* Influence customer experience for AWS’ large customer base.
* Build systems and services that handle high transactional loads.
* Collaborate with a diverse set of partner engineering teams across the globe.
What You’ll Do:
* Provide our customers with a great experience.
* Drive engineering effort, implementation, and deployments that meet functional, performance, scalability, and reliability requirements while also adhering to software development principles and best practices.
* Help your team create best outcomes with data, conviction, and diplomacy.
* Create and execute roadmaps and project plans.
* Work closely with team members to architect and develop the best technical designs and approaches.
* Foster a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics.
* Learn AWS system architecture and be responsible for diving deep into code.
* Mentor and manage teams of software developers including their projects and performance.
* Own all operational metrics and support for your software.
* Evangelize operational excellence by leading operation reviews, documenting best practices, and prioritizing automation and infrastructure as code initiatives.
* Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to senior leadership.
* Distill and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders.
You have experience with application development as well as managing technical infrastructure. You are an Agile methodology practitioner. You enjoy keeping your technical skills current and relish contributing to architecture and design discussions. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and lead technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues. You are a clear communicator and can collaborate with other leaders to plan, prioritize, and build great customer experiences. You have strong business intuition, and think broadly to identify ideas our external and internal customers will love. You enjoy taking ownership of issues, are a self-starter with a bias towards problem solving, and can deliver results even when faced with considerable ambiguity. You enjoy being a people leader. You invest in building and mentoring effective software engineering teams.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of technical education and experience.
- 5+ years building and operating large-scale software systems.
- 3+ years people management experience.
- Experience with modern programming languages (Java, C++, C#, etc.) and open-source technologies.
- Masters in Mathematics, Computer Science, or related field.
- 7+ years building and operating large-scale software systems.
- 7+ years people management experience.
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Ability to retain composure under stressful conditions, and communicate effectively and get the right things done.
- Experience with high-volume operational environments including multiple data centers and thousands of servers.
- Success working across organizational boundaries, and bringing together people with diverse perspectives and experience to find solutions.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with DevOps tooling like Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet etc.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.