Job Title: Patent Counsel
Reports To: Managing Patent Counsel
Location: Atlanta, GA
The Patent Counsel will be an experienced attorney working on significant patent portfolios and will be fully responsible for providing assigned divisions with all aspects of patent counseling. The Patent Counsel will work with the global research and development teams in the development and procurement of appropriate patent protection for all innovation projects. The Patent Counsel will also advise and consult with Executive Leaders on patent strategy and freedom to operate.
- Personally manage patent portfolios for assigned divisions, including managing utility patent application filings and prosecution, and drafting design patent applications.
- Performing patent clearance searches and guiding research and development teams accordingly.
- Work with division personnel to establish and implement project specific patent strategies reflecting business objectives. Identify patent opportunities, risks and solutions associated with innovation opportunities. Communicate effectively with global R&D leaders on patent matters.
- Review, negotiate and draft IP agreements.
- Assist Chief Litigation Counsel and Managing Patent Counsel with patent litigation, including patent claim analysis, litigation strategy, settlement/resolution positions, and responding to discovery requests.
- Execute key policies, procedures and legal strategy for the Company's IP operations, including executing proactive patent projects to minimize the Company's risks.
- Educate employees on important patent issues, including training on patent laws and patent searching.
- Support acquisition/divestiture transactions involving intellectual property assets.
- Juris Doctorate from well regarded, ABA approved law school
- 3+ years relevant experience as patent attorney or patent agent
- Licensed to practice in at least one state plus USPTO Registration
- Good scientific knowledge of core technical field, together with an appreciation of other relevant technologies
- Ability to work in an organized, detailed manner under tight deadlines
- Ability to grasp complex issues quickly
- Good communication skills, ability to present complex information in simple terms
- Good professional presence, ability to communicate with senior levels of the organization
- Ability to think independently and exercise sound judgment to make appropriate decisions
Preferred Skills and Knowledge:
- Top academic credentials
- Minimum 3+ years patent experience with respected law firm
- Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or significant experience with same
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal OpportunityEmployers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.