Ethics & Compliance Consultant
The position provides confidential, neutral, and independent investigations of alleged misconduct of the company's employees and agents, whether the alleged conduct might be considered illegal or unethical, and possible violations of company policies, laws, or regulations. The coordinator will ensure that issues are properly investigated, facts identified, and investigative results are discussed with appropriate management. In addition, the Coordinator is responsible for providing training to managers and employees regarding ethics and developing and coordinating the communication strategies and tactics for the Ethics and Compliance Department.
- Support/lead special projects and serve on various committees as requested
- Develop, assess, review and implement the Compliance & Ethics Training and Communications
- Lead internal compliance investigations including but not limited to development of strategy and plan; performing interviews; timely completion of investigation; ensuring appropriate facts are reflected in written report, etc.
- Working knowledge of HR policies and practices, employment laws, and labor issues.
- Effective coordination and investigation skills including planning, interviewing, listening, gathering, and analyzing information, developing appropriate win-win resolutions.
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Assures annual review of policies and procedures related to the Company's ethics and compliance program.
- GAS Policy Management including policy development, review, publishing, retaining historical versions for litigation/investigations. Maintains the central repository of current Company-wide policies and procedures and assures the repository is accessible to all employees. Coordinates with policy owners the appropriate vetting of new or amended Company-wide policy and coordinates review and approval of policies by the Ethics and Compliance Committee.
- Manages the process for assuring that owners of Company-wide policy periodically review and update policies and provide appropriate training and communication regarding policies.
- Review and provide consolidated reporting as required for the Compliance organization.
- Effective problem-solving ability and ability to relate and compare data from different sources, identify issues or potential issues, secure relevant information, critically and objectively evaluate situations, and make sound factual decisions.
- Ability to tolerate stress and provide a stable level of performance under pressure and/or opposition. Must maintain a controlled demeanor, composure, and objectivity when confronted with difficult issues.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitative, negotiating, and presentation skills to effectively communicate, and consult with senior management, employees, and contractors.
- Ability to effectively deliver difficult messages to all levels of employees and management.
- Work with the Concerns Manager to initiate appropriate and effective program communication and training to ensure that all employees and contractors are aware of the Concerns Program and how it works.
- Maintain and update intranet content for Gas Compliance Organization
- Participate in the New Employee Orientation training, New Supervisor training, providing new employees with information about the Compliance and Concerns program and processes, and their Duty to Act.
- Tracks and reports on annual Code of Conduct training, mandatory for all employees
- Coordinates annual Compliance Questionnaire including communications for employees. Resolve exceptions for the Compliance Questionnaire.
Required: 4-year college degree
Related Work Experience:
- 5-7 years of investigation experience
- Knowledge of principles of corporate governance, compliance and ethics
- Knowledge of enterprise risk management
Preferred: Knowledge of regulated utility industry and of Company policies and procedures.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong oral and written communication, evaluation, and analytical skills
- Ability to conduct and lead confidential and sensitive investigations
- Demonstrate an ability to prepare written and electronic reports in a clear and concise manner.
- Good critical thinking skills.
- Possess intermediary computer skills (i.e., Word, Excel, MS Outlook, etc.) for effective program administration.
- Ability to interact effectively with others
Flexibility to changing demands and establishing priorities
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
The incumbent works in an office environment. Intermediate travel requirements (20% - 30%). Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy company serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries as of Jan. 1, 2019. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company, a fiber optics network and telecommunications services . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices below the national average. For more than a century, we have been building the future of energy and developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, advanced carbon capture technologies, natural gas, renewables, energy efficiency and storage technology. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation and a low-carbon future, Southern Company and its subsidiaries develop the customized energy solutions our customers and communities require to drive growth and prosperity. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and govern our business to the benefit of our world. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have been recognized nationally by the U.S. Department of Defense, G.I. Jobs magazine, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, Forbes and the Women's Choice Award. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Legal & Compliance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2002241