Requisition Number: SPECI14478
Company: U.S. Laboratories
Receives and processes laboratory specimens, enters client and specimen data into computer, answers telephone and responds to questions/concerns of clients. May perform some training and supervisor functions as deemed necessary by the Processing Supervisor.
SHIFT - Part-Time
Monday - Friday
9AM - 2PM
Essential Position Duties
- Receives specimens and checks all specimens for correct name and tests ordered. Ensures adequacy and appropriateness of sample received.
- Labels and aliquots specimens as needed.
- Prepares specimens for sending out to reference lab.
- Discards specimens that are more than seven (7) days old.
- Centrifuges specimens as needed.
- Numbers all urine specimens for both urinalysis and cultures. Pours off specimens and plants urine cultures.
- Numbers all other culture specimens and enters requisitions. Prepares them to be planted. Plant microbiology specimens according written protocols.
- Enters client and specimen data into the computer.
- Ensures accuracy of information entered.
- Reviews patient Requisition Log and makes corrections as needed.
- Answers telephone to assist with client or phlebotomist questions regarding specimen requirements and turnaround times of tests.
- Decontaminates the bench tops according to instructions.
- Wears all protective equipment as dictated by policy.
- Follows all safety protocols as outlined in the safety manual.
- Identifies and pursues self-improvements needs.
- Seeks coaching/mentoring when appropriate.
- Complies with applicable legal requirements, standards, and procedures including, but not limited to, those within the Compliance Process, Code of Conduct, HIPAA and Corporate Integrity Agreement (CIA).
- Participates in required orientation, Compliance and HIPAA training programs.
- Cooperates with monitoring and audit functions and investigations.
- Participates, as required, in process improvement responsibilities.
Core Competencies/Skill Sets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Exercises accuracy and precision in completion of prescribed tasks and treatments.
Professional Experience/Educational Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior laboratory experience preferred.
- Data entry/computer skills required.