This position is responsible for performing a variety of grounds and facility maintenance activities related to parks and playgrounds, facilities, sports fields, landscaping, and cemetery activities by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES other duties as assigned...
This description covers the most significant essential and auxiliary duties performed by this position for illustration purposes, but does not include other occasional work, which may be similar, related to, or a logical assignment for the position. The job description does NOT constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer as the organizational needs and requirements of the job change.
- Carries out grounds and facility maintenance activities by working individually or as a member of a crew. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Park Maintenance Supervisor and in coordination with the Grounds Coordinator or Facilities Coordinator.
- Performs, leads, and directs groups of up to four skilled or unskilled workers in routine landscape maintenance, including; planting, cultivating, watering, mowing, edging, pruning, and weeding.
- Performs, leads, and directs groups of up to four skilled or unskilled works in routine facilities maintenance, including; painting, minor repairs, cleaning exteriors, and basic carpentry.
- Leads by example, coaches, and corrects incorrect or unsafe behaviors and techniques. Parks Maintenance Supervisor, Grounds Coordinator, and Facility Coordinator in monitoring and evaluating Park Maintainer I performance.
- Safely operates, and trains others in the operation of, tools associated with grounds maintenance; including, but not limited to: riding mowers, weed-eaters, backpack blowers, power tools, trimmers, hedgers, pressure-washers, shovels, rakes, drills, construction implements, pruning saws, and pruners.
- Safely operates, and trains others in the operation of, tools associated with facilities maintenance; including, but not limited to: saws, hammers, screwdrivers, power tools, pressure-washers, plungers, drills, plumbing implements, sledgehammers, painting implements, and levels.
- Cleans, services, and maintains tools and equipment.
- Cleans, sweeps, and rakes courts, fields, and grounds.
- Performs, supports, and assists with the planning of baseball, softball, football, and soccer field maintenance as well basketball, volleyball and tennis court maintenance.
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms, community halls, and other various Department facilities.
- Repairs vandalism damage to buildings, monuments, and grounds.
- Installs and maintains playground equipment, benches, tables, and picnic structures.
- Assists in facility maintenance and appearance.
- Adheres to schedules and methods for maintenance activities.
- Assists with implementation of special events and activities.
- Assists with cemetery burial activities.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Demonstrates understanding of, adheres to, and trains others on the correct techniques of, all safety regulations and practices.
- Safely operates, and trains others on the correct techniques of, motor vehicles and industry-related equipment on public roadways, often towing trailers.
- Displays excellent communication skills required in working with coworkers/public, including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
Directly supervises up to four employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include providing input to their supervisor on interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated detailed knowledge of the Astoria Parks system's maintenance and operations is required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Has advanced basic computer job skills including logging on to systems, ability to communicate by email, ability to compose documents, enter database information, create presentations, download forms, and preserve/backup important data.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid insurable Oregon driver's license is required. CPR/First Aid certification and Pesticide Apprentice Applicator's License is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and work in high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.