The duties and responsibilities of this position are to both operate and maintain the Astoria 500 MW Combined Cycle Plant to meet availability, generation and plant heat rate requirements.
Operating includes both operating the control board (Inside Operator) and field operations (Outside Operator). Maintaining is predominately instrument and controls work, but also includes mechanical work. Responsibilities include for operating and maintaining all plant components including: gas and steam turbine, heat recovery steam generators, environmental control, water quality, cooling tower, boiler feed, condensate, circulating water and fuel systems. Additional responsibilities include troubleshooting, preventive and corrective maintenance on instrumentation equipment and mechanical/electrical systems. Responsibilities also include operating and maintaining the plant in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, including but not limited to Title V Air permit, SPDES and other environmental permits. This position requires working a rotating 12 hour shift. The responsibilities of this position include being able to operate the control board within one year.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience operating power plant equipment, preferably combined cycle power plants.
- Experience in troubleshooting, repair and maintenance of plant systems and equipment.
- Independent judgment and decision making skills while performing self-directed work with minimal supervision.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- A.A.S. degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in gas turbine power plant or military power plant applications in operation and maintenance of these systems.
Hiring Manager: Mohammad Zakaria
Department: Power Supply
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Nearest Major Market: Brooklyn
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City