This position will support ground-breaking neurobiological research in a variety of animal models, including aquatic and terrestrial species, with a significant emphasis on fruit flies. This position will perform a variety of skilled and precision functions in a highly dynamic and interactive environment in the Media Prep operation including, but not limited to, preparing bacterial media and plates, prepare Drosophila media, maintaining an inventory of raw materials and supplies, and maintaining Facility equipment. Work is performed under minimal supervision and requires simultaneous management of multiple duties and tasks. Many tasks will require communication with individuals at Janelia from various Departments in Operations and Research Labs. Additional administrative duties associated with billing are required.
This is a temporary position intended to last 3 - 3.5 months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and maintain the bacterial media preparation room including all equipment: Media preparation vessels, sterilization and pouring equipment, balance, etc.
- Maintain stocks of chemical components, plates, and other supplies used in media preparation.
- Prepare various sized batches and types of media from basic chemical components.
- Sterilize and dispense finished media, label and distribute the media to laboratory personnel.
- Prepare various sized batches of fly media, dispensing, labeling, stoppering and distribution of fly media. Weigh out media components for future use, prepare solutions used in fly media preparation.
- Maintain an inventory of fly vials, bottles, and closures used in the facility.
- Dispense fly media in various containers using a repeating pipettor.
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data. May use software applications to assemble, manipulate, format and/or perform statistical analyses of data.
- Analyze data, formulate conclusions and create appropriate statistical presentations, including graphs and charts, and prepare and present written or oral progress reports regarding studies.
- May demonstrate and explain various laboratory techniques to laboratory personnel and others.
- Actively contribute to facility meetings and planning sessions.
- Conduct literature reviews to assist in determining the most suitable methods to be used in research.
- Responsible for performing and coordinating monthly billing of Media services to research labs.
- Perform other office duties such as assist in assessing shared resource chargebacks, and perform miscellaneous administrative duties as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Organizational Scope and Impact of Position:
- Contributes to research results on an on-going- basis.
- Manages routine aspects of research projects.
- Errors could impact the Facility's operation, as well as scientific experiments.
Interactions with Others:
- Works closely and communicates verbally and in writing with Media Prep, research staff, and other departments in order to achieve Media Prep and researcher goals.
- Communicates with vendors and contractors to ensure receipt of quality service and products to support Media Prep and researcher goals.
- Organizes projects assigned within daily workload to ensure goals are met.
- Meets routinely with supervisor.
- Reports any work issues to supervisor promptly to assist resolution.
- May explain basic and routine procedures to new group members as requested.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors in laboratory B.S. in Biology or appropriate field of science.. College degree with three years of experience in biomedical research required.
Knowledge/Understanding/Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent skills using PC/Mac computers and applications, including Microsoft applications (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.). Experience with FileMaker Pro a plus.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Strong sense of customer service.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deal effectively with research scientists, laboratory technical staff, administrative staff, management, outside contractors, and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative, service-oriented, rapidly changing environment to accomplish mutual goals
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, to learn tasks independently, to apply experience to develop new techniques, and to retain information associated with tasks. Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise. Remains technically and administratively current in job.
- Able to draft routine correspondence and basic reports and ensure accuracy of spelling and language.
- Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally stoops and bends.
- Occasionally reaches and grasps with arms and hands.
- Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
- Long periods of standing and/or sitting.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.