Senior UX Researcher, AWS Game Tech (Location flexibility)
(The job location is flexible.)
We are looking for a Sr. UX Researcher who is passionate about innovating in the games, simulations or cloud services space. This role is an opportunity to join one of Amazon’s newest growth areas by leading projects of strategic importance with very high visibility.
As a Sr. UX Researcher in the AWS Game Tech team, you will partner with product management, engineering, designers, and design technologists, to research and define engaging and user-friendly experiences that empower developers and content creators to build the next generation of games, cinema-quality 3D worlds, and high-fidelity simulations. Game and simulation customers need the tools and services to collaborate, iterate, and scale efficiently to deliver more immersive and interactive experiences to players and fans.
To be successful in this role, you must geek out over user research, psychology, ethnography and have a deep understanding of UX research methods and best practices, but you also have a nimble, creative and pragmatic approach, and you're interested in pushing the boundaries of agile research. You are a passionate, curious researcher with strong observational and analytical skills, an impressive ability to collaborate with other teams and designers, and a relentless determination to do what is right for Amazon's customers. You can work with minimal direction while delivering high-quality outputs. You will work on overlapping projects, so you are good at multi-tasking, juggling competing priorities, and organizing yourself to ensure you deliver on your commitments.
About the Team
O3DE is a free and open-source AAA game engine deeply integrated with AWS and Twitch. We are an Amazon Web Services (AWS) team obsessed with helping developers create the highest quality games & simulations, engage massive communities of fans, and connect their content to the vast compute and storage of the cloud. Our customers include indie game developers, large studios of repute building triple-A titles, and partners and other Amazon teams building non-gaming experiences.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
If you’re excited about the opportunity to invent and build with the entire sandbox of Amazon's ecosystem, including AWS, Alexa and Twitch, we want to talk to you.
Key job responsibilities
- Understand product roadmaps and be able to translate them into long-term, as well as, short term research plans.
- Provide expertise to the larger user research team and raise the user research bar with regards to mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing.
- Work closely with the design and product management teams to define, measure and communicate user research metrics and guidelines around the various customer experience solutions evaluated.
- End-to-end experience with all aspects of the user research lifecycle (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, communicating).
- Hands-on experience with: user testing, remote testing, paper prototype testing, iterative prototype testing, concept evaluation, field research, and survey design.
- Experience in best practices for mixed method research activities and knowledge of what approaches work and which don’t.
- Having worked on at least one version 1 or incubation product with successful results.
- The ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task in an agile environment.
- A clear passion for making a positive impact on customers lives through your work.
- 6+ years of experience conducting user research in software development, content development, entertainment, or equivalent
- A strong portfolio that illustrates past work experience and how your research informed decision-making, ideally in the digital products and services industry.
- Applied experience with a mix of qualitative and quantitative methods.
- End-to-end experience with all aspects of the user research life-cycle (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, synthesis, reporting, etc.)
- Solid understanding of the product development cycle, and the relationship between business, UX, technology and the role of user research
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills including the ability to present insights clearly and persuasively to colleagues, partners and stakeholders
- Ability to work efficiently and demonstrate a bias for action in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment
- Experience in researching the game industry or developer experience.
- Has some familiarity with game industry tools, such as Maya, 3DSMax, Unreal, Unity, etc.
- Lead UX Researcher for medium to large products that present multidisciplinary challenges and span multiple platforms and departments
- Experience creating repeatable, scalable research methods
- Experienced in driving mixed-method research and integrating findings into the customer experience
- MA/MS or Ph.D in Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, or related discipline
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.