Sr. Technical Program Manager
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It is designed to make web-scale cloud computing easier and more cost effective for developers. On the EC2 Capacity Customer Experience (CCX) team within AWS, our mission is to ensure the right capacity is available for customers through forecasting, planning, guidance and execution, especially for large unpredictable scaling events. On the EC2 CCX team you will be surrounded by people that are exceptionally talented, bright, and driven, and believe that data insights and analysis is critical to our success. To help build this growing team, you must be highly analytical and possess a strong passion for analytics and accountability, set high standards with a focus on superior business success.
As a Sr. BI Engineer on this team, you will be a technical leader in our team. This role will be responsible for generating new insights to help guide the strategic direction of our products and businesses. You will get the exciting opportunity to work on very large data sets in one of the world's largest and most complex data warehouse environments. You will work closely with the business and technical teams in analysis on many non-standard and unique business problems and use creative-problem solving to deliver actionable output. Our team is serious about great design and redefining best practices with a cloud-based approach to scalability and automation. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and an ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
Key responsibilities include
- Work with business customers in understanding key business objectives and implementing solutions to support analytical and reporting needs.
- Analyze relevant business information, and uncover trends and correlations to develop insights that can materially improve our product and strategy decisions.
- Conduct written and verbal presentation to share insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
- Develop think big ideas to drive customer insights, identify areas for experimentation, and evaluate the efficacy of current strategies to inform targeted action plans
- Design and implement an analytical environment using third-party and in-house reporting tools, modeling metadata, building reports and dashboards.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, and solid years of relevant experience.
- A strong grasp of SQL and at least one scripting or programming language.
- 8+ years of experience with and detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, data modeling, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures and hands-on SQL coding.
- 5+ years of demonstrated quantitative and qualitative data science/business intelligence experience with significant business impact
- 4+ years of large IT project delivery for BI oriented projects.
- 4+ years of working with very large data warehousing environment
- Experience in scoping out high level business problems and working with senior leadership teams
- Experience with formulating hypotheses, designing measurement methodologies, accessing and prepping data and drawing actionable insights
- Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases - Redshift (preferred), Teradata
- Experience with R, Python, Weka, SAS, Matlab or other statistical/machine learning software.
- Experience with reporting tools - Tableau, OBIEE
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively and influence both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workload
- A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
- Excited to analyze and explore large data! You will have the opportunity to give potentially game-changing recommendations to the business