Senior Emergency Management Specialist
Position Objective: As a highly trained professional who possesses the technical expertise and experience necessary to serve as anEmergency Management Specialist in support of the Foreign Service Institute (FSI).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, control, and manage emergency preparedness programs, and response programs. Formulate planning documents, in-depth briefings, project schedules, status reports, and program outreach materials.
- Develop, review, and coordinate responses to internal and external inquiries.
- Oversee implementation of control and reporting processes including the preparation of issue papers, meeting summaries, and other documents as required under general program management.
- Deliver presentations and briefings on emergency management project initiatives; participate in project phase, milestone, and final reviews; and identify project documentation requirements, procedures, and related project elements.
- Provide subject matter expertise/daily guidance for emergency action planning.
- Conduct detailed research on applicable emergency planning statutes, the Code of Federal Regulations, and Department policy. Analyze Department of Homeland Security and national emergency management policies/regulations to facilitate decision-making and to propose new approaches to carrying out program initiatives.
- Develop comprehensive emergency response and recovery plans to ensure that the office/facility is integrated into in all facets of the emergency action plans lifecycle
- Conceptualize, develop, and implement a broad range of emergency drills and exercises to test existing emergency plans, to include tabletop exercises, notification drills, facility evacuations, and shelter-in-place drills.
- Facilitate the posting of articles, news events, and other media to the office/facility Department SharePoint site.
- Oversee the collection and compilation of a wide range of information and data concerning emergency management program goals and accomplishments.
- Support the development and implementation of a multi-year strategy and program management plan for the Facility Emergency Action Plan (FEAP), Bureau Emergency Action Plan (BEAP and Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP).
- Support or lead planning efforts for operational and event specific emergency action plans (EAP).
- Conduct comprehensive reviews of EAPs for validity and conformity to existing plans, policies, and best practices and for adherence to mandatory compliance requirements.
- Ensure plans adequately account for bureau-specific nuances that will impact preparedness and response.
- Work with bureau leadership teams and FEAP coordinators to develop appropriate training and drills to test EAPs.
- - Design, conduct, and maximize participation in emergency exercises.
- Support the development and implementation of a multi-year strategy and program management plan for emergency preparedness training and exercises to include tabletop exercises, notification drills, facility evacuations and shelter-in-place drills.
- Oversee the collection, collation, and analysis of post-training survey data and prepare data for presentation to office leadership.
- Provide training-related products, expertise, and guidance, for planning, designing, executing, and evaluating emergency preparedness training.
- Develop, review, coordinate, and implement annual training plans.
- Manage the development of a communications strategy that amplifies the emergency preparedness message.
- Oversee Warden Program; conduct periodic warden training
- Bachelors Degree required.
- Minimum of three years experience in a similar role.
- Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) or Associate Emergency Manager (AEM) credentials.
- A SECRET clearance is required for this position.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with non-technical and technical staff
- Detail-oriented and possess strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects
- Proven ability to solve problems and encourage consistent, solid performance.
- Proficiency in qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Ability to create and edit documentation, reports, and products that conform to the Department of State Executive Secretariat Style Guide.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks, coordinate activities in multiple locations, act decisively in daily work, and work well in a multi-cultural team environment.
- Strong organizational, communication, interpersonal, and computer skills.
- Ability to work independently to assess priorities and manage daily coordination of details with minimal supervision.
- Expert writing skills and ability to write under pressure with short deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite products
- Expert knowledge of general Emergency Management concepts
- Knowledge of national level policy, including the Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act of 2006; Executive Order (E.O.) 12656, Assignment of Emergency Preparedness Responsibilities; National Exercise Program; National Security Presidential Memoranda; and the National Preparedness System.
- Knowledge of the Homeland Security Exercise & Evaluation Program (HSEEP).
- Expert knowledge of the relationship of the emergency preparedness program to other programs and key functions in the Department necessary to develop plans and programs to help mobilize personnel, equipment, and facilities for responses to a variety of emergency management initiatives.
- Expert knowledge of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative methods and procedures to conduct in-depth research, evaluate alternatives, and develop analysis of homeland security and national emergency management policies/regulation to facilitate decision-making and propose new approaches to carrying out program initiatives.
- Expert knowledge to develop, critically review, coordinate, and synchronize plans and strategies with other domestic Department strategy plans.
- Knowledge of public/community messaging strategies.
- Solid analytical ability and foresight in the identification and effective resolution of program issues.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
GAP Solutions provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job, email us at email@example.com. You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned.
GAP Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.