AWS User Research Manager, Research Operations
At Amazon, we’ve invested in 200+ cutting-edge AWS cloud services that provide unlimited options for customers to have the right cloud solution for their business, regardless of company size or what they do. AWS provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world and is the leading company in the industry. AWS UX Design and Research (UXDR) teams work to enable our customers, from Netflix to small start-up teams, to harness the power of the cloud and drive innovation.
About the role
The AWS Research Operations (ResOps) Team is seeking a manger to help the research team scale operations and support product experience research at AWS. We are looking for someone who has proven the ability to influence and manage change including engaging with key stakeholders, overseeing the team, allocating resources and systems so research can be conducted efficiently. This role requires multi-tasking, effective time management, proactive collaboration, solid communication with cross-functional partners, and the ability to execute plans for creative solutions. As the Research Operations manager, you will be leading a team of operation specialists, and program managers who oversee initiatives, programs, processes, and strategy for scaling research operations. This manger will build, and own the future direction of research operations and will work closely with the research team, legal, Design ops, procurement, external vendors, localization, and other teams to help enable the research that makes AWS the best possible experience for all Customers groups. You will report to the Head of UX Research. As a Research Operations Manager, you will support the team throughout the research life cycle from scheduling, to supporting recruiting efforts, to streamlining research operations and team communications. The role’s direct contribution to the operations team and across multi-disciplinary functions will be reflected on a daily basis in terms of overall efficiency, effectiveness, and scalable processes.
The Research Operations Manager will:
· Lead a team of coordinators, recruiters, operations specialists, producers, PMs, and researchers who work to provide research support for anyone in our broader AWS Customer Experience team that does research.
· Inspire a vision for what a well staffed and functional ResOps team should be and scale impact toward the vision.
· Implement and oversee metrics program to ensure that the team and Ops programs are meeting objectives and driving measurable impact.
· Manage team budgets, including vendor and tool management and proactively identify and drive improvements as they relate to tools, processes, documentation.
· Be responsible for building the strategic vision to scale operational improvements and efficiencies to support user research team growth (i.e., Lab Management, Data Governance, Vendor Management, Recruitment, Asset Management, Knowledge Management, Templates and Guidelines)
· Support the strategy for Participant Management and Panel Health (i.e., develop new recruiting channels, mechanisms, and best practices; track panel composition and recommend strategic recruits based on upcoming projects or gaps identified; closely monitor panel engagement levels for purge and refresh efforts)
· Develop self-service materials and aid in monitoring the quality and integrity of the processes. This will also require you to establish, communicate, and roll out best practices, educating and getting the buy-in from key stakeholders in the process.
· Clearly identify, explain, and communicate progress, status, expectations, dependencies and risks to various audiences while managing overall risks for projects, driving commitments to schedule and quality.
· 8+ years proven success leading research operations programs, processes, and projects in a technical industry or environment with demonstrated impact on teams.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience managing a large, diverse portfolio of research projects and making appropriate resourcing decisions with input from stakeholders
· 3+ years of experience hiring, managing and growing research operations leads and programs.
· Experience building and scaling in-house research programs, processes, and tooling for Researchers, Designers and other stakeholders.
· Demonstrated ability to inspire a vision for research ops teams, programs, process, and projects
· Demonstrated experience with partnerships across Finance (on establishing and tracking research budgets) and Legal (on tooling approvals and licensing).
· Experience collaborating within UX Research/Design teams locally, international, remote and distributed.
· Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
· The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
· BS in HCDE, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, or related discipline or PM agile training or certification and/or experience working in a highly agile/scrum environment; often collaborating with multiple design functions and teams.
· Can readily identify processes, tools, and/or documentation that improve the operations of a UX Research Team such as Qualtrics, UserTesting, Dscout, and research participant providers
· Have experience building relationships with and managing a wide range of research vendor contracts in partnership with procurement, legal and security and privacy.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.