DENTAL ASSISTANT - 64003033 (ARCADIA, FL, US, 34266)
Requisition No: 507441
Agency: Department of Health
Working Title: DENTAL ASSISTANT - 64003033
Position Number: 64003033
Salary: $30,840 - $32,240
Posting Closing Date: 12/06/2021
64003033– Dental Assistant- Open Competitive
Your Specific Responsibilities:
This is a Dental Assistant position that will provide direct patient care services in the dental program for the Florida Department of Health in Desoto County (FDOH—DeSoto) under the direct supervision of the Dental Executive Director. The incumbent, an employee of the Florida Department of Health – DeSoto County, represents the agency and its mission and values. The incumbent is part of the organization and is expected to promote cooperation, courtesy, and teamwork in a diverse environment. The Dental Assistant performs specialized assisting techniques as well as maintaining dental records and coordinating patient dental treatment which requires an independent decision.
- Assists dentist at chairside by preparing operatories for procedures: seat patients; prepares various tray set-ups; mixes dental materials; cleans work areas; loads anesthesia carpules for injections; exposes, develops and mounts x-ray film; maintains darkroom solutions; performs routine laboratory procedures; utilizes cold sterile and autoclave methods for instruments; adheres to local and state regulations regarding disposal of bloodborne pathogen materials; charts information from oral examination on forms in the patient's dental record; provides information to the patient such as pre-op and post-op instructions; supplies dentist instruments and materials needed to perform procedures. Performs routine preventive maintenance and cleaning of instruments and equipment including central vacuum/air/water units, cabinets, and lavatories. Lubricates handpieces on a routine basis.
- Under delegated order of the dentist, performs all expanded functions as allowed by law and completion of accredited training; taking impressions for study casts, placing periodontal dressings, removing periodontal or surgical dressings, removing sutures, placing and/or removing rubber dams, placing or removing matrices, placing or removing temporary restorations, applying cavity liners, varnishes, or bases; polishing amalgam restorations; polishing clinical crowns of the teeth for the purpose of removing stains; obtaining bacteriological cytocidal specimens; application of sealants for the prevention of decay.
- Efficiently perform four-handed dentistry in the delivery of dental care including dental prophylaxis and hygiene, material preparation and presentation of appropriate dental instruments. Also, under the supervision of the Dentist, will perform expanded duty dental functions in accordance with all relevant Federal, State, and professional standards. The duties extend to accurate dental charting and treatment plan interpretation in a timely manner utilizing the appropriate forms and documentation standards.
- Be proficient in the use of dental computer software. Must enter documentation in Dentrix, Dexis, and HMS programs.
- Must be able to discuss present treatment and future dental treatment with the patient. Also, responsible for making appointments while maintaining a workable daily schedule. Assure all documentation is present in the chart, including but not limited to, updated health history, HIPPA forms, registration forms, etc.
- Schedule clients for appointments, re; final impressions, wax bites, Try-ins, and delivery of the product. Copy invoices for dental records of service.
- Package and mail all dental cases to the dental lab. Open received packages from the dental lab verify contents. Verify contents are correct with no issues with the product.
- Compile and forward school health schedule to the school nurse for service delivery. Copy encounters and parent information sheets.
- Bill Medicaid for school health, dental services.Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:Statutes, and Rules and Regulations that pertain to the programs. The incumbent in this position is considered to have regulatory responsibilities and is subject to the provisions of Chapter 60K-15, Career Service System Rules.Use of equipment and supplies related to the position;Lead People: Motivate, provide constructive feedback, positive recognition, and organize activities to improve the team skills and performance;Manage Processes: Integrate and effectively utilize all components of the strategic planning process to help DCHD achieve its vision. Appropriately assesses and allocates resources (financial, human, equipment and supplies) develop, implement and evaluate business plans;Human Relations: Work with others in a professional, considerate and helpful manner. Projects a positive image of DCHD and self;Initiative: Be self-confident, motivated, and enthusiastically driven to perform current job duties and undertake duties of greater responsibility;Responsive to Direction: Take and give direction; accept and deliver constructive criticism, and respond and implement suggestions for improvement;Flexibility: Accommodate changing situations or plans for satisfactory performance of the job. Able to change easily from one task to another;Technology: Navigate the Internet, use office suite and assorted software, and use of technology equipment;Communication (Oral & Written): Takes the initiative to communicate accurate, up-to-date plans and information to subordinates, peers, and management. Expresses thoughts clearly, both verbally and in writing. Listens and understands the views of others;Creative Thinking: Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions to make organizational improvements; designs and implements new or cutting-edge programs/processes;Team Building: Inspires, motivates and guides others toward goal accomplishments. Consistently develops and sustains cooperative working relationships. Encourages and facilitates cooperation within the organization and with customer groups; fosters commitment, team spirit, pride, trust. Develops leadership in others through coaching, mentoring, rewarding, and guiding employees;Interpersonal Skills: Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, cooperation, concern, and politeness to others; relate well to different people from varied backgrounds and different situations;Customer Service: Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing excellence in products and services.Time Management Manages a variety of responsibilities in a timely, efficient manner and is able to prioritize tasks.Qualifications:
- A Valid Florida driver’s license or the ability to obtain one prior to hire
- Incumbent may be required to work before, during, and/or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency. Emergency duty required of the incumbent includes working in special needs or Red Cross shelters, or performing other emergency duties including, but not limited to, responses to or threats involving any disaster or threat of disaster, man-made or natural.
- Maintain the performance of the Dental Assistant, Expanded Functions per Florida Statute 466.024Florida Department of Health Mission, Vision, and Values:Mission:To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.Vision:To be the Healthiest State in the Nation.Values:I nnovation: We search for creative solutions and manage resources wisely.C ollaboration: We use teamwork to achieve common goals & solve problems.A ccountability: We perform with integrity & respect.R esponsiveness: We achieve our mission by serving our customers & engaging our partners.E xcellence: We promote quality outcomes through learning & continuous performance improvement.Where You Will Work:DeSoto County, FloridaThe Benefits of Working for the State of Florida:Working for the State of Florida is more than a paycheck. The State’s total compensation package for employees features a highly competitive set of employee benefits including:
- Annual and Sick Leave benefits;
- Nine paid holidays and one Personal Holiday each year;
- State Group Insurance coverage options, including health, life, dental, vision, and other supplemental insurance options;
- Retirement plan options, including employer contributions(For more information, please click www.myfrs.com);
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Tuition waivers;
- And more!For a more complete list of benefits, including monthly costs, visit www.mybenefits.myflorida.com.Please be advised:Your responses to qualifying questions for this position must be verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic application process.This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit. Any misrepresentations or omissions will disqualify you from employment consideration. Note: You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to conduct this background check Successful completion of a drug test is a condition of employment for safety-sensitive positions.Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website:If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system. E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility.Incumbents may be required to perform emergency duty before, during, and/or beyond normal work hours or days.Florida has the third largest population of veterans in the nation with more than 1.5 million service men and women. The Florida Department of Health (department) is committed to serving members of the United States Armed Forces, veterans and their families by encouraging them to apply for vacancies that fit their area of knowledge and/or expertise. Through the Department's VALOR program, which expedites licensing for military veterans, the Department also waives initial licensing and application fees for military veterans who apply for a health care professional license within 60 months of an honorable discharge. These initiatives help ensure that the transition from military service into the workforce is as smooth as possible and reflects our appreciation for the dedication devoted to protecting our country.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Certain service members may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.