GCI's TAC Technician II will monitor and support critical network elements to maintain the continuous operation of the company's network and system infrastructure. Provide on-shift surveillance, management, advanced-level troubleshooting response and trouble resolution of the company's Wireless Radio Access Network (RAN) equipment and/or Core Transport Network in order to provide the highest level of network availability; restoring service. Following procedures to identify and validate trouble conditions to take the appropriate course of action to minimize service interruptions. Perform proactive network status checks as part of normal surveillance activities ensuring optimum performance. Working closely with various engineering groups and network control and field technicians to develop and implement tools and processes to improve capabilities and ensure quality service levels and ensuring all networks are meeting industry standards and identified performance goals.
Special Conditions: Required to participate in a rotational schedule; function and work as a team to troubleshoot complex company network and customer issues using any and all required skills to perform the necessary duties; consulting with employees, other departments, and/or management to determine root cause of an incident, outage or failure of services and corrective actions.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Analytical skills: ability to analyze complex challenging problems and situations leading to optimal solutions with attention to detail.
- Communications skills: Excellent verbal and written communication required. Must be able to articulate information to all technical and non-technical audiences throughout the company both internal and external customers.
- Superior interpersonal and professional skills; able to handle stress and maintain diplomacy, tact and concern.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team with the ability to work independently to ensure the established goal is successful.
- Knowledge of telecommunications industry network environment and different applications. Preferred DOS/Windows/UNIX/Open view and associated applications.
- Ability to have a high degree of self-initiative and be able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks with independent decision-making.
- Ability to remain current in industry best practices of the discipline
- One or more of the following Network disciplines is required for any technician level.
- Broad based working knowledge of interdepartmental and external communication and coordination required.
- Experience in drafting multi-focused technical reports for both internal management and external customer distribution preferred.
- Ability to work with peers and senior-level technicians to accurately communicate status of GCI's network assets to stakeholders, including physical facilities, network devices, and current service level availabilities during critical outages and maintenance events.
- Demonstrate an ability to receive and classify work requests via email, tickets, and/or phone calls and assign tasks on a priority basis to team members of various technical abilities and assignments.
- Ability to develop, test, and enrich new processes and procedures; periodically assessing for accuracy and optimization to align with current departmental goals and overlying company mission.
- Ability to read, interpret, and contribute to network documentation.
- Knowledge of regulatory agencies and requirements around telecommunication incidents such as RCA, FCC, FAA, NORS, and PSAPs preferred.
- Knowledge of ITIL framework; specifically Change Management, Service Validation and Testing, and Incident Management.
Wireless Radio Access Network (RAN):
- Broad based working knowledge of and ability to maintain cellular systems, transmission facilities, and equipment typically found in a Mobile Telephone Switching Office and Wireless Radio Access Network.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Wireless RF concepts such as UMTS/HSPA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, CDMA/EVDO, LTE and 5G preferred.
- Experience with Ericsson and Nortel Wireless Networks preferred.
- Understanding of RF propagation principles and cellular theory preferred.
- Knowledgeable of transmission facilities including the test, turn up, and troubleshooting of T- 1 and Ethernet circuits required.
Satellite/Microwave RF transmission (RF):
- Broad based working knowledge of and ability to maintain satellite modems, microwave radios, PCS equipment, MMDS equipment and LMDS equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of RF transmission concepts of multiple access, duplexing and communications protocols.
- Experience operating, maintaining or installing satellite, microwave or other wireless networks to include; programming, configuring and troubleshooting preferred.
- Understanding of RF transmission principles used in microwave or satellite communications preferred.
- FCC license is desired.
Core Transport Network (CORE):
- Broad based working knowledge of and ability to maintain complex voice, SONET and IP transport, cable and data networking systems and standards.
- Network troubleshooting and Corrective Maintenance. Respond to circuit and facility outages within GCI's network. Isolate outages and work with appropriate technical groups to restore service
- Experience in a wide variety of telecommunications networks to include: Force 10/Turin, Cisco ONS, ALU, Calix GPON, BTI, TYCO NEC, Tellabs, ECI, Juniper, and ADTRAN equipment.
- Comprehensive understanding of standard operations concepts such as availability, redundancy, reliability and testing.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems
- Diagnosis of basic routing problems
- Knowledge of IP address nomenclature and meaning, IP protocols, IP routing, router and switch components and facilities, Communication facilities (fiber, cable, RF, PSTN, T1, ISDN, DDS, etc.) and Communication equipment (CSUs, modems, xDSL, wiring frames, cabling, etc.)
Intermediate technical position within the network control monitor and surveillance discipline; must have a moderate skill set and proficiency; conduct work assignments of increasing complexity; strong understanding of telecommunications network technical environment; ability to review planned and unplanned changes to network infrastructure ensure all networks are meeting industry standards and performance goals following all documented procedures and participate in troubleshooting response and resolution. Provide on-shift surveillance and support to junior and senior level technicians and management.
- Monitor the network and associated network elements; investigating and determining the cause of network events and alarms. Perform network troubleshooting and corrective maintenance. Respond to and isolate outages, working with the appropriate technical groups to prevent and/or restore service. Initiate disaster recovery actions as required.
- Compile and submit notifications and reports on network status and activity. Initiate notifications to management as determined by protocol to ensure the proper operation and maintenance of the company's network.
- Interact with internal teams; the company's customers and vendors in a professional manner to resolve issues at the lowest level and as timely as possible.
- Work Closely with various engineering and network control technicians to develop and implement tools and processes to improve capabilities ensuring quality service levels. Provide technical support, training and mentorship to junior technicians.
- Minimum of six years of increasing responsibility and experience in a technical network telecommunication or relevant environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Associate degree in Telecommunications, Computer Science or related field required. Or, a combination of relevant work experience and/or education sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute to meet the total years required on a year-for-year basis.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and contributes toward education. Preferred certification: CCNA (Cisco), Juniper, or SCTE DOCSIS or relevant certification
Physical Requirements: Works in a cubical environment; requires occasional work with other company business groups. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs; greater weight must follow company safety guidelines; may work in cramped spaces. Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination sufficient to perform job duties. Visual and auditory acuity necessary to operate equipment and identify color-coding. Ability to tolerate temperature and weather extremes (fumes and odors, dust, low light conditions.) Strength and coordination enough to perform the duties of the job.
Working Conditions: Most activities conducted inside under pleasant climatic conditions. Work can be intense and stressful due to time/resource limitations when scheduling multiple tasks with inflexible deadlines. Work is performed in an office environment with long periods of computer work. Shift work, overtime and travel is required. Position is subject to dealing with challenging people and situations. Occasional exposure to Inside/outside work; noise; standing; hot/cold temperatures; vibration; cramped quarters.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be required to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
Background /Security Conditions: Based on the position's business needs, background and security checks are subject to Level 2 background checks that may include but are not limited to: review of an individual's criminal history; credit check, and review of DMV records. Job candidates may also need to comply with additional State of AK contract requirements. GCI will ensure that background checks are conducted in compliance with all applicable federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADAAA).
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must maintain and possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.