About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Services & Customer Relations, the Assistant Director of Financial Services & Customer Relations is responsible for all aspects of Financial Aid Services' outreach activities and is a critical part of the Financial Services & Customer Relations team. The Assistant Director provides exemplary customer service and financial aid counseling in person and via phone and email to students, families, and other constituent groups. Responsible for the development, scheduling, and presentation of educational and informational programming on a wide variety of financial aid, student finance, and financial wellness topics. This position requires a detailed understanding of financial aid processes and regulations and superior customer service and communications skills.
- Provide financial aid information to current and prospective students and families, University staff, and other parties. Act as subject matter expert in financial aid application process, scholarship application process, aid eligibility requirements, student loans and loan repayment, and student financial wellness. Counseling skills involve interpreting students' financial needs and problem resolution in-person, by phone, by email, and in small- and large-group presentations.
- Manage the coordination of all Financial Aid Services outreach activities including Admissions Open House events, New Students' Orientation, Parent and Family Orientation, resource fairs, college fairs, and presentations to on- and off-campus constituent groups. Create presentation materials, deliver presentations, and provide follow up counseling to students and families on all aspects of student finance and financial aid.
- Co-manage Financial Aid Peer Counseling program and proactive customer service operations. Train and supervise student staff responsible for outgoing and “escalated“ customer service.
- Assist with staffing for “satellite office“ operations in International Programs Office (IPO), Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success (CMASS), and Library Learning Commons.
- Provide collaborative counseling and outreach efforts with Smart About Money (SAM).
- Liaise with student services offices; Bursar's, Residential Life, Dean of Students, Student Success, CMASS, and others as needed. Develop professional networks within these offices and serve as informational go-between for Financial Aid Services and these offices.
- Attend trainings, conferences, presentations, and webinars pertaining to financial aid and share relevant information with the counseling team.
- Provide assistance to Undergraduate Admissions during peak volume with customer service support as needed.
- Work collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Enrollment Management.
- Contribute to creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree and two years of experience in higher education.
- Experience in customer service, counseling, and/or mediation.
- Exceptional customer service and oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrate outstanding presentation skills; comfortable with public speaking.
- Willingness to work outside of established work schedule as needed.
- Commitment to culture of non-discrimination and promotion of a diverse student body and staff. Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of clients and coworkers.
- Understand responsibilities with respect to FERPA, Title IX, and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrate capacity, skill, and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Use access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercise care to prevent unnecessary disclosure.
- Understand and contribute to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Understand responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behave in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Financial aid experience and expertise including a working knowledge of federal and state regulations.
- Strong understanding of student billing systems and student financial wellness.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Experience working with confidential and sensitive data; experience using discretion and understand privacy laws (e.g. FERPA).
- Experience working in PeopleSoft integrated student information system.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
- 5 hours/week, Mon-Fri 8:30am–5:00pm.
- Required to work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by September 25, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 11 2019 Eastern Daylight Time