Under the direction of the director, the PACS Administrator is accountable for the following aspects of operations for all imaging departments:
- Proper operation and maintenance of all computer information systems within Imaging Services.
- Coordinate interaction/interface activities between/among all necessary systems.
- Plan, coordinate and implement system upgrades to include all computer information systems within Imaging Services.
- Work closely with all divisions of the department and the appropriate management teams.
- Will involve a high degree of interaction with a diverse population of UPMC staff and physicians as well as interaction with vendors.
- Coordinates implementation and testing of new modalities.
- Potential involvement in HL7, interface trouble shooting, interface errors and testing.
- Participates in quality improvement activities. Looks continually for opportunities to improve processes and systems.
- Investigates, identifies and prepares proposals to solve specific operational problems within all clinical operational areas, working closely with Department Managers, Supervisors, and Lead technologists as well as involving the next level of administration as appropriate.
- Displays a commitment to service improvement.
- Acts as an Applications trainer for Radiology and other departments related to medical imaging initiatives.
- Development of training programs for PACS, PowerScribe, and others.
- Displays a caring, courteous, respectful and enthusiastic attitude to all, including physicians, technologists, IT leaders, and other groups that interact closely with this position.
- Communicates effectively and concisely with all members of the healthcare team, verbally and in writing. Exhibits good listening skills.
- Ensures timely and complete capture of DICOM digital images within the PACS system, validate patient information against RIS, and corrects exceptions. Investigates and helps corrects patient comingle records.
- Ensures high level of data integrity within RIS/PACS.
- Maintains data/rules for DICOM sources, Export list, overlays and exam code dictionary if applicable.
- Develops, modifies and maintains local policies and procedures as well as helps create and/or support, system policy and procedures for the RIS and PACS
- Helps with 24/7 issues as applicable. Provides remote and/or in person support for Read@Home attending radiologists as applicable.
- Provides ongoing troubleshooting, support, and maintenance of production applications in partnership with IT.
- Follows system standards for change control, testing, project request and trouble ticket submission.
- Works closely with IT and vendors on technical specifications for capital equipment purchases for Medical Imaging.
- Prepares for and assists in the implementation of PACS, RIS, and third party upgrades (equipment and software), and oversees activities of vendors in all phases of the implementation at local site.
- Assists in submission of initial license applications and renewals and updates/amendments of licenses and agreements (and all materials/information associated with such), promptly and in a manner to insure continued compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, standards, and laws to assure continuous operation of the radiologic services of the hospital.
- At least three years Radiology experience.
- Previous experience with PACS/RIS is strongly preferred.
- Broad knowledge in radiology with thorough knowledge of radiology information systems.
- Understanding of Radiology operations and workflow knowledge of: Microsoft Windows operating systems and associated tools, DICOM and HL7 functionality, standards, troubleshooting skills and integration techniques, general networking principles, dictation systems and integration techniques, Web Browsers, and MicroSoft Office suite
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Active certification and registration by American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), ARDMS, CNMT or 2-year Information Technology degree
- CPR or BLS required
- ARRT Certificate OR Nuclear Medicine Technologist Certification (NMTC) OR Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (ARDMS)
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran