Job Description and Qualifications
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opportunity for a Director of Engineering for the Americas at our corporate headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
Air Products is a world-leading Industrial Gases company having both process gas applications and gasification technology that has been in operation for over 75 years. We have multiple product lines, over 750 production facilities in over 50 countries, and serve over 30 different industries, creating broad opportunities for growth and development. And, we are growing!
We pride ourselves on being an innovative technology company that cultivates an environment of collaboration and inclusion. We need and seek out people who are dedicated and driven to create the future. People with passion and commitment to get it right and a never-ending desire to innovate, learn, improve and contribute. Sound like you?
The Engineering Director will lead Air Products' Americas Engineering & Design organization, one of five regional teams within Global Engineering, serving as part of the internal EPC capability. This team designs facilities which Air Products will typically own and operate. The Director role requires ensuring competitiveness, successful asset creation, productive internal and external interfaces, risk management, and talent management. Asset creation work involves developing, bidding, and executing projects. Multi-faceted planning, decision-making, and communication accountabilities span the above factors.
You will be required to understand and translate business requirements into effective engineering & design strategies and delivering on all facets of bid and project commitments. The functional responsibilities include resource development, planning and management; handling short-term and long-term capabilities and capacities development and maintenance of quality, timeliness, and performance of results.
The organization's portfolio is medium to large air separation and large complex process gas facilities.
To fulfill the requirements of the position the incumbent must develop collaborative working relationships with GEMTE team members, Business Leadership, Operations, Procurement, and Technology.
The Director has scope of Annual Project Authorizations: $50 MM-$3B, leads activities across two facilities (Allentown PA and Houston TX), maintains a team of 13 which includes six Engineering Managers (PEM). Overall department size is 175 people plus contractors.
- Ensure that Engineering Standards, Engineering Procedures and Work Instructions are understood, followed consistently, and value improved where necessary to enable optimal Air Product's project development and execution.
- Steward a culture of high performance, integrity and inclusion; Develop and maintain the capabilities of the regional team to support the business needs across the broad portfolio of offerings.
- Develop and implement effective processes for leading workload fluctuations that critical skills and capabilities are maintained during downswings and schedule, quality and performance are maintained during upswings.
- Ensure our facilities are designed in a manner that protects the environment and the health, safety and security of our employees and the public, enabling Air Products to be the industry leader in these facets.
- Develop the capabilities and know-how to be able to lead EPC contractors to deliver cost effective engineering and design packages that support the broad portfolio of projects.
- Provide strong leadership to ensure that Air Products' reputation as a world-class engineering Company is enhanced in the marketplace.
- Support the creation and maintenance of key work processes and engineering standards to ensure that competitive and safe design of Air Products' projects on a global basis.
- Develop and maintain work process discipline and reporting to ensure strong project control and clear communication.
- Support the development and maintenance of tools and systems to ensure functional excellence and global commonality and consistency.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of regional statutory rules and regulations such that cost effective, legally compliant designs can be produced.
- Participate where appropriate in governmental or industry groups which formulate policies, rules or regulations which are associated with engineering and design of Air Products' facilities such that Air Products' “voice“ is heard and considered.
- 10+ years of experience in Engineering management in an EPC or owner's engineering organization.
- Ability to operate in a multi-hub environment and closely liaise between the American engineering Hub and other regions for example, India, UK and Asia.
- Experience with actively engaging in proposal phase developing value-added engineering strategies
- Must be able to demonstrate experience leading change within the organization.
- Experience with a large and complex project engaging multiple engineering organizations
- Well-developed ability to think strategically
- Act with a high degree of independence
- Energetic and committed
- Experience managing cross functional teams
- BS Engineering (MBA or MS Engineering preferred)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
North America - Exempt