Citizenship and Naturalization Internship Description
Hogar Immigrant Services is a program of Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington. Our mission is to help immigrants integrate into the community through education and legal services.
The Citizenship and Naturalization Intern provides support for the Citizenship and Naturalization program. The main facets of the program are monthly citizenship application workshops and weekly citizenship classes focusing on helping applicants prepare for their naturalization interview. The Citizenship and Naturalization Intern will learn the ins and outs of the naturalization process, and will get daily hands-on experience in coordinating a non-profit program.
- Communicate in English and Spanish with current and potential clients about Hogar’s services
- Promote our program in the community
- Learn about the process to become a naturalized US Citizen
- Learn how to assist clients in completing the citizenship application
- Follow up with clients to remind them of appointments and to track their progress towards naturalization
- Maintain legal files and learn how to interpret legal immigration documents
- Manage client information and data
- Work in a team environment with staff, interns, and volunteers
- Network with immigration attorneys
- Provide translation and interpretation assistance to Hogar’s legal team when applicable
- Provide other support to Hogar’s legal team as needed
This position is located in our Immigration Legal Services office in Alexandria, VA. Internship schedule is flexible within the office hours of Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm. Additional attendance at naturalization workshops held on Saturdays in various locations throughout the Diocese of Arlington is optional. Internship is unpaid, but is available for credit if desired.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Hogar/Catholic Charities Arlington
- Minimal driving aptitude test may be required
- Spanish proficiency required
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be a self-starter able to work independently
- Genuine interest in providing services to the immigrant community