TEACHER: SPECIAL EDUCATION Social Emotional Support 1 (FTE 1.05)
JOB STATUS: OPEN
POSTING DATE: 12/02/2019
POSTING NUMBER: 00040716
LOCATION: 315:MONTEZUMA ES
POSITION TITLE: TEACHER: SPECIAL EDUCATION Social Emotional Support 1 (FTE 1.05)
Teaches by creating a flexible program and an environment favorable to learning and personal growth; by encouraging students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to obtain a good foundation for continuous growth and development; by providing students with experiences which integrate the affective, cognitive and psychomotor dimensions of learning; by establishing effective rapport with students and their parents; by assisting students in developing positive feelings toward themselves and others.
Incumbent must achieve the following outcomes with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Cooperates in the development and implementation of the district program of instruction.
- Plans and implements a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students and complies with State Department of Education Standards and the APS Board of Education goals and objectives and individual student IEP plans if appropriate.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals. Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, assignments, units and projects in harmony with curriculum goals and communicates the objectives to students.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting stated objectives.
- Establishes and maintains standards of appropriate student behavior and discipline as prescribed in the school handbook and IEP plans of each student and to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom and assists in its maintenance campus-wide.
- Evaluates the learning progress of students on a regular basis.
- Prescribes effective learning programs and initiates referrals to appropriate personnel when concerns arise.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with the district testing program.
- Establishes and maintain open lines of communication with students and parents concerning students' academic, social and behavioral progress.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Selects and requests appropriate books and instructional materials and maintains required inventory records.
- Provides directions and materials for substitute teachers. Plans for and supervises classroom aides, guests and volunteers and directs the activities of assigned classroom Educational Assistant.
- Cooperates with staff and support personnel in assessing and helping students with health, attitude, learning and behavioral problems.
- Participates in all IEP meetings and ensures the educational goals of the IEP are met in the classroom.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE:
The minimum expectations for this job are as follows:
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Flexibility, organization, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills with diverse populations in-person and on the telephone.
- Knowledge of APS community, computer system, financial procedures, and legal requirements.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work on multiple projects, and coordinate the work of others.
- Knowledge of district policies on immunization, medication, first aid, emergencies and child abuse/neglect.
- Knowledge of all laws, regulations and guidelines affecting teachers and students.
- Knowledge of effective classroom management techniques.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships with students, parents, community members and staff.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE: The minimum requirements for this job are as follows:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Current New Mexico teaching certificate endorsed in the area(s) to be taught.
Contact: Melissa Goodman-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLY ONLINE: WWW.APS.EDU, APS Jobs, Certified Application. In addition to providing supporting documents to meet the position requirements, you must also submit an updated cover letter & resume.
START DATE: ASAP