Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas offers comprehensive reproductive healthcare services. We are here to educate and care for healthy communities. We believe the needs of our community are greater than they’ve ever been. And that drives us to work harder, aim higher, and expect more from one another. Here, you'll be empowered to make an immediate impact for our organization and clients.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package:
Excellent Medical and Dental Benefit Plans
Retirement plan and employer match
Generous Paid Time Off.
Plus Additional Benefits.
Position Title: Health Center Assistant (HCA)
Location: Addison, TX
Reports To: Health Center Manager
Employment Status: Non-exempt, Full Time
- The Health Center Assistant (HCA) is an essential part of our healthcare team providing comprehensive health education and direct patient care, demonstrating a positive, cooperative manner, and a willingness to assist team members when needed. Understands and complies with organization and health center protocols, policies and procedures. In addition, follows organization risk management and safety procedures. Ensures delivery of high-quality reproductive healthcare and family planning services for women and men. Ensures productivity expectations, customer service and compliance standards are maintained. Views services through the client’s eyes and serve clients promptly, completely and in a friendly manner. Abides by the organization’s mission in performing job duties. Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to quality healthcare and excellent customer service.
Essential Job Functions & Expectations
- Performs a variety of responsibilities in direct patient care including but not limited to: greeting clients promptly and in a welcoming manner, providing high quality care, interviews clients and obtain medical history information, provides education to clients regarding the purpose of their visit, performs client check-in and check-out, pulls and files client charts or electronic records, accurately updates client charts and records, confirms that all medication, equipment and supplies are stocked in health center including sterile instruments, assists with client discharge instructions, etc.
- Adheres to the medical standards and guidelines as applicable to the HCA role in the health center.
- Practices a customer-oriented approach to healthcare delivery as demonstrated by interactions showing respect, knowledge, responsibility, compassion and access to care.
- Provides information about medical services and referrals, answers questions about birth control, health and pregnancy in a non-biased, non-judgmental and non-directive manner
- Provides comprehensive education, options counseling and support in a caring, non-judgmental, factual manner, allowing client to make informed decisions regarding birth control, health and pregnancy; provides accurate information regarding methods of contraception, sexually transmitted infections, urinary tract infections, breast lumps, methods of birth control, teen sexuality and general healthcare.
- Ensures that a client having a pregnancy test is aware of all alternatives and receives accurate information and referrals; Provides pregnancy-options counseling in a comprehensive, non-directive and non-coercive manner.
- Utilizes medical manuals to research and obtain necessary information and/or protocols.
- Provides and explains appropriate forms to clients to ensure accurate completion and understanding of all forms, ensuring that clients with limited English proficiency receive information in the language which they best understand.
- Participates in clinic’s productivity and revenue goals, as demonstrated by actions taken to ensure that walk-ins are seen and that clients requesting additional services are scheduled to have their needs met during their current visit whenever possible; efficiently stocks exam and education rooms, prepares clients by asking them reason for their visit and performs preliminary functions to facilitate clients’ visit, and provides appropriate education.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times, using appropriate guidelines on release of information.
- Completes daily health center closing procedures such as preparing deposits and balances cash drawer. Strictly adheres to money handling policies.
- Charges clients appropriately for services and/or pharmaceuticals received. Assists with funding options as appropriate.
- Understands and complies with regulations from all governing entities and health center protocols including but not limited to Patient Rights, Child Abuse identification and reporting, infection control, laboratory protocols, emergency evacuation, risk management, and OSHA safety standards.
- Efficiently and professionally performs front desk duties.
- Demonstrates a capacity to implement an assigned role in emergency evacuation procedures.
- Actively participates in organization and health center training.
- Recognize and reports bottlenecks in patient flow to management.
- Reports customer feedback (positive and negative comments) to management to continuously improve the customer experience.
- Ensures accurate documentation of daily controls and/or chart audits.
- Functions as patient advocate by providing assistance to patients in order to ensure patient satisfaction.
- Accepts individual and joint responsibility for, and participate in health center efforts to achieve health center goals.
- Exemplifies customer services standards.
- Completes employee training for handling of situations involving conduct that endangers the welfare of minors, including mandatory reporting requirements.
- If position supports a health center providing abortion services, will perform the following additional duties:
- Provides factual, non-biased information to patients seeking abortion.
- Provides client accurate information and answer questions regarding the abortion procedure, possible complications, follow-up exams, and birth control options.
- Provides patients seeking information about abortion with information about abortion providers; describes the difference between medication and surgical abortion.
- Reviews consent form with patient and obtains informed consent for procedure.
- Notifies physician of any medical problem or other special concerns of client, which may relate to the abortion or choice of birth control method.
- Ensures that any client who requests an abortion is aware that she may change her decision at any time and will be provided with alternatives and will receive accurate information and referral.
- Assists the physician and/or the client during the abortion procedure, including monitoring vital signs and in the recovery room as needed.
- Performs exams of tissue post-surgery/accounts for products of conception.
- Complies with state laws governing abortion services.
- Audits charts.
- May perform the following additional duties:
- Supports the front-office, or check in/out areas.
- Answers phones in a professional and courteous manner; provides directions to health center, hours of operation, types of services offered, takes messages, and makes appointments as appropriate.
- Places reminder phone calls for scheduled appointments.
- Visually inspects visitors/clients and packages entering and leaving the health center.
- Controls any of the following access to building: front door, reception, back entrances, delivery doors, etc.
- Observes security cameras and grounds, secures building at end of shift.
- Screens patients for appointments and conducts initial check-in.
- Assembles client charts with appropriate forms.
- Maintains appropriate documentation in laboratory and examination areas including maintain specimen collection log and lab request sheets accompany specimens.
- Handles lab specimens per organization protocols and performs laboratory testing as required by CLIA when ordered by the clinician.
- Interviews patients according to health center protocols including:
- Reviews and updates demographic information.
- Reviews and updates medical history.
- Reviews method of payment and obtains insurance information as applicable.
- Notify clinician of special concerns pertinent to client’s visit.
- Accurately performs and documents all vital signs, draw blood, and IM injections.
- Educates adolescents so that they can make decisions regarding their sexuality, including positive family involvement.
- Reviews test r