Youth Care Worker
The Youth Care Worker meets all basic needs of the kids and adolescents in care and ensures treatment plans are met. All New Horizons Staff are expected to study, practice and operate within the New Horizons Philosophy of Keeping Kids First.
Keeping Kids First requires that every decision and action be motivated by and geared toward meeting the highest need of the individual kid. New Horizons will not tolerate anyone who is not committed to keeping kids safe from abuse, neglect and exploitation.
At New Horizons, we Keep Kids First while providing a safe, therapeutic and loving environment for kids and adolescents who have experienced immense trauma through abuse, neglect or exploitation. Our Staff keep our kids safe and provide a home-like environment for them to grow, heal and thrive. Our Audrey Grace House is a 30-bed residential treatment facility, located in Abilene, TX which provides 24-hour care to boys and girls, ages 5 to 17, as part of a Community Based Center of Care.
The full-time, Youth Care Worker, is responsible for implementing and providing comprehensive direct care, supervision and support to meet the daily physical, mental, emotional, developmental, and social needs of kids in crisis, ages 5-17, within our Audrey Grace House, that aligns with New Horizons Philosophy, state issued standards of operation and set ethical codes.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Keeping Kids Safe!
- Providing direct supervision and support to a group of kids, many of whom are experiencing emotional trauma;
- Being a positive role model.
- Planning, supervising and assisting with daily activities for your assigned group, including meals, hygiene, maintaining of clothing, personal possessions and living spaces, completing homework, adhering to treatment plans, completing work activities and participating in school, community or planned recreational activities;
- Providing a safe, stable and home-like environment;
- Actively participating in the treatment plan of each kid with guidance and assistance from the Treatment Team;
- Valuing individuality and being invested in each kid by learning their habits, interests and physical, mental, emotional and social needs. This includes talking to, playing with, interacting with and, most importantly, listening to them;
- Building healthy relationships with the kids in care to support them as they heal and work through their trauma. This also encourages positive behavior and relational growth;
- Maintaining accurate and complete documentation;
- Completing and implementing necessary trainings as required by state licensing;
- Transporting kids to school, office appointments, recreational and social activities; and
- Studying, practicing and operating within the New Horizons Philosophy and Employee Handbook.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older;
- A High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required;
- Applicants must pass criminal background checks, a drug screening and a tuberculosis test;
- Applicants must adhere to New Horizons drug and tobacco-free workplace policy;
- Applicants must submit a current Resume and References for consideration (submit all in one document);
- Applicants must have or be willing to obtain knowledge of the DFPS Minimum Standards for General Residential Operations;
- Applicants must have insight and understanding of cultural diversity and have the ability to work with diverse populations;
- Be able to perform conflict resolution or crisis intervention;
- Applicants must pass a criminal background check, drug screen, and tuberculosis screening; and
- Applicants must be strong at multitasking, possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, work effectively in a high stress environment with the ability to make logical decisions in times of crisis and work well in a team and independently.
New Horizons offers:
- A team environment focused on support, accountability and maintain a safe environment where we Keep Kids First
- 100% Paid Employee Health Insurance Premiums
- Retirement and Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time Off
By submitting your resume and references, you agree to the following:
- I understand that a background check, a drug screen test and a TB test are conditions of my employment, and before employment begins, I must these results on file as well as three (3) character references.
- I understand I must have at least a Class C Drivers license and must complete a New Hire information packet.
- If I accept an offer of employment, I hereby authorize New Horizons Ranch and Center, Inc. to conduct a criminal background check at any time during my employment with New Horizons Ranch and Center, Inc. I understand that if a criminal charge is found at any time, it could result in the termination of employment with New Horizons Ranch and Center, Inc.
About New Horizons Ranch & Center, Inc.:
- Established in 1971, New Horizons has been assisting kids and families throughout Texas in our residential treatment facilities, therapeutic foster homes, and youth and family counseling programs.
- New Horizons' team strives to Keep Kids First in all decision making and program services in order to help our kids and families succeed.
- Our mission is to create an environment where kids, families and staff can heal and grow through caring relationships, unconditional love and acceptance.
- For more information, visit www.newhorizonsinc.com