Director of Programs
The MusicianShip uses music to alter the life trajectory of youth, thereby creating a more vibrant, educated, empowered, and well-intentioned world. We offer a range of programs for our students, designed to further develop them as musicians and public citizens. Our programs include an After-School Program (Marching Band, Choir), Ambassador Program (Clinics, Online Education), a Music Lesson Matchmaking Program, and a Summer Program (Marching Band, Choir, Music Business, and Music Media). Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Programs will oversee and direct all MusicianShip programs. The Director of Programs will be responsible for the operational success of all MusicianShip programs, ensuring seamless team management, team development, program delivery, quality control, and evaluation. The Director of Programs will manage Program Managers and the Summer Program Coordinator—ensuring that deliverables are met at appropriate timelines and serving as a resource for Program Managers. The Director of Programs will be responsible for programs’ grant compliance, when applicable, and serve as a key extenal face of The MusicianShip to staff, partner sites, students, and in the community.
Work Environment & Operations
The MusicianShip operates virtually without a central office. However, our programs operate in various satellite locations throughout Washington D.C. The position may require up to 50% virtual work and up to 50% travel to engage in outreach events, recruiting efforts, partner meetings, site visits, and etc. Approved mileage and expense reimbursements are available with appropriate documentation. Company communication is executed mostly through email and teleconference. This flexible full time position requires 40 hours per week with availability to work some evenings and weekends.
Duties & Deliverables
The Director of Programs performs a wide range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Plan the delivery and execution of all programs and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization, by setting regularly scheduled meetings with Program Managers to develop, review, and approve Program Plans, as well as identifying risks associated with program activities and taking appropriate actions to control risks
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of programs, by creating and implementing evaluation frameworks to assess the strengths of the programs and to identify areas for improvement
- Coordinate student recruitment plans, by scheduling Program Mangers to visit recruitment sites with the technology, tools, and rhetoric to represent the organization well and meet recruitment goals
- Create/Update forms and records to document and manage program activities, including, but not limited to, enrollment forms, field trip forms, confidentiality forms, and student surveys etc.
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization, by implementing program monitoring activities and reporting noncompliance and sub-standard programming to the Executive Director
- Ensure that personnel files for the program are properly maintained and kept confidential, by developing a central file repository in collaboration with the Human Resources Director
- Recruit, interview, and select well-qualified program staff, by reviewing program personnel needs and recommending necessary positions to the Executive Director and Director of Human Resources
- Ensure that all program staff receive an appropriate orientation to the organization by furnishing and implementing staff training plans, schedules, and materials
- Provide direction, input, and feedback to promote staff efficiency and effectiveness, by developing process and procedure documents and manuals, and corresponding evaluation mechanisms
- Work with Program Managers to ensure effective and efficient program delivery, by creating program rubrics, adjudication, and evaluation tools
- Establish and implement a performance management process for all Program Managers and Instructors
Funding and Reporting
- Monitor the program activities and report evaluation findings, on a trimester basis, by creating evaluation criteria in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Ensure that programs operate within the approved budget, by requesting spending approval for expenses which exceed an agreed-upon amount in collaboration with Executive Director and Director of Accounting
- Monitor program budget to understand projections and review details…..budget to actuals variance to the Executive Director and Director of Accounting on a monthly basis
Provide required information to have invoices generated and submitted to funders according to the established timelines, by adhering to funders’ compliance and invoice submission requirements
- Contribute content to funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Ability to travel in and around the Washington D.C. metropolitan area including Virginia and Maryland.
- Access to computer and telephone to accommodate daily business correspondence.
- Bachelor's degree required; experience in program management and execution, curriculum and training development, event planning, business communications, and; interest in the performing arts and education
- Ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision due to the virtual operations of the organization
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Simple budgeting