Assit. Fire Chief
This position is for an Assistant Fire Chief for the Hawthorne Army Depot located in Hawthorne Nevada.
We would like to invite you to Google information about Hawthorne and Hawthorne Army Depot. We like to briefly explain to all of our out of state applicants what life is like in small town Nevada. The reason for this is so all of our applicants are completely aware of where the position will be located. Below you will find a few facts that I have listed for your convenience.
- Hawthorne Army Depot is the largest ammunition storage facility in the world.
- SOC Nevada LLC does not deploy overseas.
- Hawthorne Nevada is a one mile square town with a population of about 3,500 people.
- The nearest major shopping facility (Walmart) is about 75 miles away in Fallon Nevada.
- The closest major city (Reno NV) is located about 2.5 driving hours away.
- Las Vegas Nevada is located about 5 driving hours away.
- Our climate compares to that of Afghanistan (dry desert) but the temperatures are not as extreme.
There are many opportunities in our area for outdoor recreation. Yosemite National Park, Mammoth Lakes Ski Resort, and many back-roads for for hiking, biking, fishing, ATV/UTV travel are a few of the amenities right out our back door. Hawthorne is a patriotic and peaceful town.
Our office hours are 6:30 Am to 5:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time) Monday-Thursday.
- Serve as the Operations Officer at all emergency incidents that may be a result of natural forces, major accidents, fire or explosions, oil and hazardous materials spills, and/or accidents occurring in confined spaces. Ensure compliance with Company and governmental guidelines and regulations pertaining to the responsibilities of this position. Customarily and regularly directs the work of six (6) or more employees. Has the authority to recommend hiring, firing, promotion, and change of status of employees. Work requires the exercise of discretion and independent judgment. Perform other duties of the same or lower level of difficulty as assigned. May be assigned occasional duties of a higher level of difficulty than those listed above. Maintain high ethical standards, overall values of the business, and the Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Conduct to include cooperating during Company investigations; treat all individuals fairly and with respect.
- Work with the Fire Chief to plan and develop policies and establish goals and objectives for the department and specifically for the assigned platoon.
- Through a subordinate officer (Captain), directs the operations of a platoon during the assigned tour of duty. Serves as Operations Officer and on scene Commander for all emergency response during that period.
- Maintain the discipline and good morale of all firefighters. Assure that the required manpower is present for the shift and that all equipment is in a constant state of readiness to save lives and property in any emergency.
- Assign tasks and supervise the execution of established functions for the platoon. Schedule training drills, testing of fire alarm systems, established inspections, expeditious response to fires or other emergencies. Perform lectures in firefighting techniques and prevention.
- Recommend changes in Standing Operating Procedures to improve the systems and procedures. Supervise the preparation of required reports and records. Coordinate the performance of required maintenance on all equipment in order to keep equipment in a high state of readiness.
- Coordinate the performance of required maintenance on all equipment in order to keep equipment in a high state of readiness.
Education: High school graduate with State of Nevada Firefighter I and II certification. State of Nevada certified Fire Officer I, or DOD Fire Inspector I and Technical Fire Protection/Prevention training highly desirable.
Length of Experience: Four (4) years experience as a Firefighter/Fire Captain with broad knowledge of Fire Protection/Prevention. Good working knowledge of the care, operation, and maintenance of all fire equipment essential. A thorough knowledge of the Hawthorne Army Depot layout essential.
Certifications: Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid, NIMS 300 & 400 certification.
Licenses/Registrations:Should be able to obtain and maintain a valid State CDL drivers license unless physically unqualified to obtain such a license.